newibe in the home brewing from the kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rennie1289

Reaction score
hi am chris, its going pretty well for me my auncle gave me 80 500ml bottles so am sorted i made my 1st batch of sum buddys larger, i made it at the 30 pint mark, i dint rate them 1 bit every 1 else loved it, to me it smelt nasty so it put me off, i then made sum john bulls cider loved it i tested it with the hydro it was around 8% this was some wicked stuff same again i made 30 bottles an i loved it and it blew ya head of, ive just made some off that magnum pear cider ive made it to 40 pints ive gone for more of a taste this time, says to leave a wk in the bottle so il try 1 on friday wish me luck lol am hoping to keep brewing as its fun am on hunt for sum very strong cider next maybe around the 15% mark if any1 knows a make that does it msg me how ever you speak on hear

I know it's tempting to brew super cider early on, but it needs a lot of time to ferment and condition. It's really more of a wine at that strength and people may struggle to drink it...do it by all means, but i'd rather have a decent cider on tap than paint stripper :lol: to answer your question, you would have to bulk it up with sugar which will leave it tasting very thin and sharp. Either that, or brew a kit to the instructions very very short - half the size would be about 12% I reakon.

Check out the topics on Turbo Cider. Your lager probably tasted bad because it was very young, after 2 months or so it could have been a lot better - this is why you brew more than you drink when you start up :) TC is really tasty and inexpensive, you just ferment apple juice from the supermarket.

yh ill have to hunt around for more bottles as the 60 ive got wunt be enuff like ya say but its having the space an room am finking of buildin a shed so i can store the bucks an stuff like that in but it be around 10ftx10ft an the gf dont like the idear as she dont no half the reason why i want it so big lol , yh i made sum of that john bull cider that was around 8% was nice wen was sipped i enjoyed it tho but yh maybe il give the turbo cider a miss till i learn abit more, i cant find any topic in that turbo cider topic thaty am lookin for :? so i jus put apple juice in the bucket and leave it or do i add fings sorry to be a pain i fort i could buy a turbo kit cider lol :rofl: am new lol

Ah. There's plenty of topics knocking about, but it's basically 23L (or as much or as little as you want) of apple juice from the supermarket, champagne/wine yeast, add pectolase and tannin (or a cup of very strong tea) to clear it and add a bite, then bottle with sugar as you have been doing. There's variations using vimto, other juices etc, but that's the basic recipe and it's 10x better than any kit I've tasted. Leave it to age for a few weeks at least and it'll be fantastic!

rob you make it sound easy where can i get pectolase and tannin as i dont no what both off them are myabe a visit to my local brew shop am guessin any yeast be ok long as not out off date ?

Back