Newkie brown alternative

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyronnster

Reaction score
Recently brewed a wilko newkie brown kit
Looking for a alternative but something along the same sorta lines.

Sorry not to clued up

I love it if honest.

The after taste in my eyes could do with being stronger so not sure how to enhance this

Just wondered if any other kits for them

Tyronnster said:
I love it if honest.

The after taste in my eyes could do with being stronger so not sure how to enhance this

Just wondered if any other kits for them

Perhaps brew short? I've found that if you brew to 20-21L instead of the recommended 23L, you generally get a little bit more flavour in your beer. You could use some DME instead of sugar, that would improve the body and mouth feel of the beer. Wilkos kits are cheap enough, maybe get 2 cans and use them both instead of 1+sugar.

There's a "Simply" brand Brown ale, better brew as Scott mentioned. If you moved into Extract brewing, there's loads of recipes, probably including a Newky Brown (the oringinal one, not wilkos kit) clone.

Good luck!

As has been said, if you are brewing using sugar (table or brewing) try switching to Dry Malt Extract (aka spraymalt) and reducing the brew length from 23L to 20. This will make a noticeable difference in flavour.

You could also try dry-hopping - adding 30g or so of some appropriate hops (East Kent Goldings always work well) to the fermenter after the 4 days or so, and leaving them in there until you keg/bottle it at 14 days. This will give it a fresh hoppy nose and flavour.

I would avoid doing two bitter kits together though - it's likely to turn out too bitter as the kits were designed to be mixed with either sugar or malt, and already have enough bittering for the full brew.

Latest posts

Back