Next homebrew investment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Next investment

• Total voters
The question is better quality beer or cold beer (being cold will hide lack of taste) - concentrate on brewing properly with equipment where you can fine tune the mash

Disagree with that. You can brew just as well with a very primitive set-up as you can on something near pro-level. How we handle the beer when it's fermented is far more important for me.

Disagree with that. You can brew just as well with a very primitive set-up as you can on something near pro-level. How we handle the beer when it's fermented is far more important for me.
Poorly brewed beer will not improve however it is handled after fermented. Temperature control to achieve the correct sugar release (and hence flavour) is fundamental to a good pint

Hmm - how can you achieve a temperature accuracy to 0.1 C with a primitive set up?

You don't need that level of accuracy to brew good beer. Not even close. A thermometer and insulation will do everything you need for your mash. Not going to agree with you on this, so I'll just leave it there.

To be fair, I'm sure plenty of people don't have room for another fridge; I know I don't, quite apart from any other considerations.

Poorly brewed beer will not improve however it is handled after fermented. Temperature control to achieve the correct sugar release (and hence flavour) is fundamental to a good pint
I made many a great beer with minimal equipment as have others with the best investment was temperature control.

Hmm - how can you achieve a temperature accuracy to 0.1 C with a primitive set up?
You're not getting that on a brewzilla regardless what you say as its a homebrew setup calibrated in a factory but calibrated equipment need regular calibration to ensure their accuracy.
Every six months is acceptable...

Well the mob have spoken and it’s got to be the kegerator! Thanks for all the input guys. Strangely enough the missus is actually encouraging the kegerator so it’s a win win for me!

Decided that I need a keg in my life for taking to garden parties this spring/summer, so bought a Mangrove Jacks 5L mini keg, portable CO2 kit and a stainless tap mounted onto a stainless flow control ball lock disconnect. ☺

Decided that I'll keep doing BIAB's but larger batches than 5L by brewing strong and liquoring back. The Corny and Brewzilla can wait a while yet. :confused:

Kegerator complete! Kegged my first batch there and will be brewing another tomorrow!

Attachments

• A75C4D32-944C-4667-9065-A807E63CF417.jpeg
    A75C4D32-944C-4667-9065-A807E63CF417.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 98
  • AFF49BB5-B027-470B-A6CC-36C21A271B8D.jpeg
    AFF49BB5-B027-470B-A6CC-36C21A271B8D.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 101
  • A68AA80C-17B3-469E-ADC4-4ABAE24E517D.jpeg
    A68AA80C-17B3-469E-ADC4-4ABAE24E517D.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 86
nice set up- how much did it cost you to build?

Fridge was £20 on Facebook market place.
Black spray paint was £5
Keg starter kit was £207.50
Beer tower was £60
14lb CO2 was £30 deposit and £20 to fill from JR Gases

Could have done it cheaper if I didn’t want the beer tower and had the taps through the door of the fridge.

I currently just have kegs sitting in a ink bird controlled fridge with a party tap conected to each, so would just need the keg starter kit to upgrade. Tempted.

Back