No activity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I put a brew on on Monday, it's Finlandia Winter brew. Had a suspicion not all was well as i could not see any frothing from the outside of the fv. I haven't fitted an air lock so i peeked inside. There is no activity whatsoever it just looks like black muddy water. I noticed my immersion heater on the Tuesday that it was on 26c [ 79f in old money] I'm thinking has this killed the yeast then I'm thinking all other scenarios have i sterilize it properly etc. Has anyone got any advice. Should i stir it up. should i add some more yeast. But the problem there is i can't get to the lhbs till Friday. Or am i paranoid and it will start up. The thing is all my kit brews have gone off like a rocket within 12 hours. I had one once that took a day to get going but this has had 48 hours now.
Any guidance much appreciated.
Regards.
CIB

Do you have a hydrometer? Take an SG reading and compare it to your OG reading (if you took one) This is the best way to see if there has been any activity. If you think it is scuppered, then try repitching some more yeast. I had to do this with my first batch. I accidentally killed my first pack of yeast so went and bought some more and repitched after about 48 hrs.

Thanks for the reply mate.
It started off at 1051 and is now on 1022. Don't know if that's a dramaticdrop in two days or what. Iv never took a reading after two days before. I gave it a stir heard a bit of fizzing but nothing else.
Regards
C I B

Looks like somethings happening then. 26C isn't high enough to knock off your yeast anyway so I recon it'll be fine. :thumb:

i'd check the SG tomorrow and if it's lower then you know you're fine.

If there has been a drop from 1.051 to 1.022 then fermentation is definetly underway. I had a brew that did not produce a krausen (the foam formed during inital fermentation). if you are going to checkl the brew again then you should check the temp as well. If the initial fermentation has been at 26C then you may have a cardboardy taste.

I only highlight this as it happened to me over the summer with a few brews and I have learnt how important fermentation temps are now.

Thanks for the advice alanywiseman. At least it may be fermenting then. Must say iv never had a brew with no kursen. Always a first I suppose

Cheers
CIb

Well it's down to about 1012 now. Must say I'm worried about this. No krusan I did see very small and I mean very small bubbles in the fv one day I got thinking it was from the sediment from me disturbing it when I opened the lid. As the title says no activity still fingers crossed for bottling this coming week

cask is best said:
Well it's down to about 1012 now. Must say I'm worried about this. No krusan I did see very small and I mean very small bubbles in the fv one day I got thinking it was from the sediment from me disturbing it when I opened the lid. As the title says no activity still fingers crossed for bottling this coming week

Out of interest, how did it turn out? (I see this was last November). I have had the same brew in the FV at about 23C for 11 days, and fermentation went off v well and now seems to have stopped - no activity and hydrometer now reads 1012, not the 1006 the leaflet says to expect. OG was 1042.

Not sure whether to wait a few more days, to repitch more yeast or just get on with bottling.

Anyone with any idea?

I have no experience of that particular brew but I've found that kits don't always get down as far as the instructions say. As long as the gravity has been stable for a few days then I'd be happy to bottle at 1012.

Back