No chill oxygen question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyblade

Reaction score
I have used the no chill method for all my all grain brews so far, all seem to be looking/tasting good although they are all far from ready.

My question is about transfer of wort to the chilling cube, I currently use a jug to scoop the boiling wort and pour it through a sieve directly into my cube then seal in and leave it to cool. I read recently that the only time you should introduce air into the wort is before pitching the yeast, I just wondered if adding oxygen when I transfer the hot wort to the cube (by splashing in to the container rather than via a tube) would have any negative effect on my beer?

Thanks in advance.

I could be wrong but for some reason in my head I think oxygen is not absorbed while its hot. Hope someone else can confirm or correct this.

This is known as 'hot side aeration' and another brewing forum myth that has been de-bunked. Although I have a vague memory of reading something that it may well effect commercial size brewers. I do exactly as you do and have done for about 4 years and it definately does no harm

Latest posts

Back