no fermentation activity after 48hrs - add more yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Murgatroyd

Reaction score
Hi - I brewed on Friday (10 Apr 2020), and two days later there's no sign of any krausen activity - 5gal batch (Maris otter, cara, pinch of roasted barley and choc malt; willamette, fuggles and sorachi), plastic bucket, in a dark cupboard at a constant 18C since pitching. I used a WYeast London Ale 1028 liquid yeast smackpack, only a couple of months old, been in the fridge the whole time. It didn't expand much/at all after smacking but that's not unusual from previous batches, so I pitched it anyway. Any advice? Shall I just carry on waiting (patience!)? Or should I add another smackpack at this stage (reluctant to throw good money after bad, but I have a much older pack I could try - am also reluctant to toss the whole batch if I can salvage it in some way). Many thanks for any tips.

If the smack pack didn't swell much you may have few viable yeast so they will take some time growing in number to handle your 18L of wort.

If you throw in the other pack it may help but it is likely they aren't in best condition if the newer batch are struggling and will need time to multiply too.
Either way, you may get some esters from the yeast if you have effectively underpitched.

I'd give it another day.

Can you rouse or increase the temp slightly to give things a nudge?

Really helpful tips, thanks cushyno and chuffer. I will turn up the temp a bit, and give it some more time. thanks again.

It's always a good idea to make a starter with liquid yeast, but I wouldn't panic just yet. It'll almost certainly be OK.

It's a fine line. Do you wait and wait until the wort is spoiled, or do you give the yeast time to do its thing? Fingers crossed the year for there first. I'm sure it will be fine.

Glad that it's going. 72 hours without a starter was typical of my experience with a smack pack. These days, I always make a starter when I use liquid yeast, because I was going crazy watching and waiting and the beer never came out as nice.

Latest posts

Back