Non Alcoholic lager and homebrewing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandelf

Reaction score
OK, I know this isn't the words that everyone needs to hear, but due to a shift in my health and new medication I have been told I need to drop my units per week to less than 10. This is due to the medication I need to take (forever more! bit depressing for a young 30 something but oh well!)

However I do enjoy a pint, and 10 units a week just wont cut it!

So is there way I can 'brew' a NA drink that I can mix in with the real home brews to stretch out my allowance but not feel like I am missing out on having a drink?

Sorry to hear that man. To add to your woes, I think alcohol is vacuum evaporated in the brewery to make beers non alcoholic, so unless you're willing to fork out a hefty wedge on shiny gear you might be out of luck...

You could always try heating the beer up to the evaporating point of alcohol (60-something degrees) and letting it boil off (I'm absolutely not taking about distillation here) but how that would affect the flavour of the resulting liquid I'm not sure. Badly, probably :-(

EDIT: I was totally wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-alcohol_beer#How_low-alcohol_beer_is_made

Glad someone asked about this as it's something I'd be really interested in.
My dad is a recovering alcoholic and so can't drink any beer, although we share some of the non alcoholic stuff occaisionally. But he is always really disappointed that he can't taste any of my beers as he's quite proud of me for making them.

I'd love to be able to do a beer for him and I to share but it all seems a bit like black magic
:)

Hi a bit late to this topic but for health reasons was looking to brew a lower alcohol lager . On the firim rather than taps talk I found this thread http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14906&page=2 now at the beginning is a simple recipie that includes 1 kg rice flakes . I guesss they are not there for flavour so talking that part of the recepie should give a lower all alchohol shouldn't it ? Scuse typos am posting from a phone

Back