Norfolk Wherry - CO2 poor?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marco491

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my first post here, so prepare for a newbie question...

I am on my second batch of Woodfordes Norfolk Wherry, which I heard was a good and easy first brew. I have been quite pleased with both batches in terms of taste (and isn't that the main thing?)

But the first one went flat with about a third of the keg left and despite a spritz from a CO2 capsule.

The second batch has been secondary fermenting in the keg for two weeks now and, while it's not totally clear, it tasted good enough for me to pull a couple of pints this weekend. Unfortunately after an early spurt, by the end of the second pint the pressure had disappeared completely and it only glugged slowly out of the tap. Can it really be that so little CO2 has been generated? Or is it supposed to be a totally flat bitter? I am not a fussy man, but I do like a little bit of fizz in my beer. But maybe this is normal? Thanks for any suggestions.

I have the same problem with my bottled wherry. Maybe needs more sugar when priming.

Marco,
I have (had) the same problem with my current batch of Young's bitter in a King Keg top tap (see No Barrel Pressure) - I'm also new to this.

I don't think I have a pressure leak, as I can introduce CO2 (8gm) and the 'pressure' will still be there a day later - but after a pint or so the pressure just drops. I do get enough build up 'organically' created (after a day) to get a pint of so out anyway.

I was told that I could check the float (by opening the cap) and make sure it's sitting right and not just sucking the gas out and reprime or just re-inject CO2 to dispell the introduced air. I haven't done that yet, as I was hoping that 'it' would start creating more gas in a warmer environment.

I also saw on another site that a poster put a spoonful of the yeast from the fermentation bin into the conditioning cask to ensure a good secondary. But the instructions I had nothing about that.

I think what I'm after is a 'fault' and recovery check list. IE if barrel has no pressure, check these things (and how) in order. If it's blah, then this can be rectified by...

Maybe the Brewing for Dummies gives that!

Steve

Cheers Steve,

What do you mean "check the float"?

I would expect to put CO2 in when more than half is gone, but not when the keg is virtually full. Strange... tastes good and has cleared well, but less than a pint comes out under pressure.

Next time I'll try a bit more sugar in secondary.

With pressure barrels without any co2 device there wont be enough naturally generated gas to give you a good foamy pint after 3-4 pints, after that it will be flat. If you gas it up with small bulbs(8gms) you will get away with 2-4 for the first quarter if your lucky,but as you get lower you have to use multiple bulbes ,I can use up to 8 per barrel .
The big s30 gas cartridges are better ,more economical gassing solution (240gm). You the right valve for these .

Bottle it- I find I get much better results. It takes longer but its ultimately more enjoyable.

I suspect the only way to enjoy decent keg beer is to invest in a cornelius keg (corny)- you'll find loads of reference to them on this site.

Cheers

SHB

Back