Northern Ireland Noob

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spitefulmunchkin

Reaction score
Hi, as the title says I'm from Northern Ireland and I'm just about to brew my 1st batch of wine tomorrow.

I got a starter pack with all accessories and a Cellar 7 Merlot kit.

I have read a few things about reducing quantity of water I use by about 5 litres to increase the % of the wine which I like the sound of - have I picked this information up correct, simply use 5 litres less of water at the start?

Also I was wondering if I should add anything extra to this kit? Have read about adding grapefruit juice, sugar and smoke chips but not sure if any of these would be suitable to add to the cellar 7. I am hoping someone will have experience of using this kit in particular as I'm guessing different kits come with more additives.

I am looking forward to tasting the final result and already thinking of where to go next in regards to brands if wine etc.

This site seems very good and I'm sure I will be using it a lot!

Cheers

Chris

Welcome, there are a few of us from NI on the forum now, hopefully home brewing is starting to gain popularity here.
As for your questions, yes if you add less water to the kit than suggested you will have a higher alcohol content. You are also concentrating the flavours so it will be stronger in flavour than intended.
I'm afraid that's as far as I can help you, I've never made a wine kit. You should have a look at the threads for WOW, which is a juice based wine. Cheap to make and rather nice :-)

Latest posts

Back