Not the news I wanted to hear...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to the hospital yesterday to get the result of a scan on my foot. I'm a professional dancer, but apart from teaching,  I haven't been dancing much since last Christmas due to problems with my foot. I'd thought it would pass,  even gave up teaching to give it time to get better. But the pain never really went away, and eventually I went to the doctor, had an X-ray to rule out a stress fracture, was referred to a podiatrist,  given two different insoles, referred to a podiatric surgeon and finally sent for an ultrasound. At this point, the suspected cause was a tear to a ligament in the foot.

The ultrasound didn't show a tear, but it still hasn't been ruled out. What I did learn was that the underlying problem is a minor congenital malformation in the foot, which has now caught up with me due to my choice of career.

I now face the choice of how to proceed:
a) I can continue with insoles and supportive footwear and hope that it will eventually improve,  but this leaves me unable to dance and most likely means retiring from dancing now.
b) I can have steroid injections,  which may or may not help, but with it comes a host of possible side effects,  including making things much worse. On the upside, I would probably be able to dance for some time.
c) I can have surgery, probably the best chance of long-term improvement. However, no surgery is without risk, and the recovery time would be fairly long, not to mention rehabilitation time. Add to that the fact that I probably only have another five years left as a dancer, is it worth it?

I know many people face far worse, but I guess I just always assumed that when the time for retirement came, I'd be ready for it, that I would choose to retire because I'd done what I wanted to do.

So it looks like I have a big decision to make...

Dennis

Sorry to hear that D, not good :(
If it was me, I'd retire taking with me the positive memories, and not feeling to sad about it if you only intended another 5 years, I assume you've had a 'good run'. I've got a similar problem in my knee and the thought is/was always there that if I pursued the things that make it worse by medical intervention it'll only come back to haunt me in my later years.
I made my choice at 21 being told I'd need a new knee by 30 if I carried on either way, I'm now 40 and relatively trouble free.
You can't put a price on your health, it's really sad to stop doing the things you love, especially when we're not ready for it, but in my case it was for the best.

My father in law has taken the steroid option to a neck problem and 2 years in they're slowly stopping to work,along with the pain killers, he wants' to leave the surgical option to the last min, if at all. He was advised that surgery would be more likely to have a positive result if he didn't go the steroid route, as the deterioration will continue in the joint, but the though of the op was/is too much and he's 65 and doesn't foresee the problem being long term :roll: :lol:

Tragic DK, I am disabled (muscular dystrophy) But I started dancing by coincidence when the DJ at our dance venue fell off a ladder and hurt his ligaments so he sat with me. My wife has always been a brilliant dancer, but I was always stuck at work and couldn't keep up classes. I used to go to dances and just listen to the music and chat with our friends. But our DJ said "why dont you try?" "Because I cant move my legs" :doh: I said." But the Teddy boys made the women do all the work" :party: , he said! Try rock n roll. So we practiced, and I found we could do rock n roll. Now I have a harum of ladies who like to dance with me, and a brilliant social life. Some cant tell I am disabled.
BUt the DJ got better and is OK now, so look on the bright side, GOOD LUCK :thumb:

I had some serious ligament damage in my shoulder. It was originally caused in a rock climbing accident but I never had it fixed and lived with it but had to stop climbing. A few years later I took up a different hobby, Church Bell ringing, for about 10 years it was fine then one day my shoulder just gave up. For me surgery was the only option and it involved some major reconstruction as I had unknowingly damaged the joint over the years. It took about a year to recover fully with a lot of physio and now it feels as good as new. No guarantee it will last forever and I fully expect more surgery in the future but i'm glad I had it fixed now as I get absolutely no pain any more. Get it fixed would be my advice. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Sorry to hear this dennis, that is **** news indeed. Fortunately I have not had to make such a big decision yet in life but if I was I would have to agree with Vossy. Being fit and health means a lot to me and will allow access to do more in life in comfort.

No matter what I am sure you will make the right decision for you.

Sorry to hear this. Just remember that your long term health is more important then a career no matter how much you love it. But only you can make that decision, as you know what will mean the most to you.

I've got a split cartilage in my right knee, but because of where the tear is, it plays havoc on my hamstring tendon where it splits in 2 behind the knee (cramps and shooting pains). I can't go running as my tendon pain gets worse, same as being in some cars, trains, walking too much, etc. My catch 22 is that if I have the torn bit of cartilage removed, because of where it is and the size of it, I have a high risk of developing arthritis in my knee within 5-10 years. But I'm only 31, and I want to have kids first so I can goto the park and kick a ball around with them, and other stuff. But if I don't have it removed, it could get a lot worse. At the moment I've decided to take pain killers when it really hurts, but as I'm taking codine which I can't take constantly, I have to live with a mild, constant cramping pain im my tendon.

I can relate to some extent, I have been suffering from tendinitis in my feet for the last 8 years which on occasion leaves me unable to walk and in severe pain if not properly managed. I was unable to get referred and just given NSAID treatment. I have given up some sporting activities that I used to enjoy to make sure I can keep walking freely.

I recently got referred and after a lot of tests etc... am seeing a Rheumatologist consultant. Diagnosis is not complete and RA is not completely riled out (although considered unlikely), but the following has been discussed with me

NSAIDs effective on the symptoms but not a long term option

Surgery, not advised as there is a risk of damaging the tendons or infection to them which would be very serious.

Cortisone injection (not in the joint). This would provide instant relief in a serious attack but has long term effects on the immune system and bone density.

The suspicion is that it is a form of spondylitis which attacks the feet instead of the back for which there are DMARD drugs like sulfasalazine that will effectively treat the condition long term.

As I say, diagnosis is not complete but I am more hopeful than before.

It may take time but hopefully you will get the long term treatment that works for you and what you want to achieve

Sorry to hear that Dennis. I work for my self and would probably struggle to find gainful employment outside what I do. I plan on working till I drop but there is always a nigling thought of what happens If............

Good luck with your decision making

oldjiver said:
Tragic DK, I am disabled (muscular dystrophy) But I started dancing by coincidence when the DJ at our dance venue fell off a ladder and hurt his ligaments so he sat with me. My wife has always been a brilliant dancer, but I was always stuck at work and couldn't keep up classes. I used to go to dances and just listen to the music and chat with our friends. But our DJ said "why dont you try?" "Because I cant move my legs" :doh: I said." But the Teddy boys made the women do all the work" :party: , he said! Try rock n roll. So we practiced, and I found we could do rock n roll. Now I have a harum of ladies who like to dance with me, and a brilliant social life. Some cant tell I am disabled.
BUt the DJ got better and is OK now, so look on the bright side, GOOD LUCK :thumb:

How inspirational is that OJ :hat: :hat: :hat: This place never ceases to amaze me. :thumb: :thumb:

id go for the long term fix and i did i had major surgery aged 14/15/18 i have had bone graphs, tendons moved, staples and pins as i was told i would be in a wheelchair by the time i was 18 . so i went for the long term.
i still live on painkillers at the age of 31 but i have other injurys like oldjiver i have a form of muscular dystrophy. my problems my slow me down but dont stop me from doing what i want. think positive get all the facts and talk to family and friends, you dont have to do it all on your own

If your consultant recckons he can fix it with surgery, go for it.

I had pretty major surgery on my right wrist ten years ago following a motorcycle accident which left it shattered. The consultant gaveme two options, let him fuse it (guaranteed success, and zerio pain, but never move my wrist again) or let him try and rebuild it. The rebuild option wasn't without risk, and was always going to have a limited life span, might have been as little as 5 years.

I'm sat here typing, still using all the movement of my right hand, it's not pain free any more, and it took a few month of physio to get it back in shape, but the last 9 years I've had a 'normal' hand, and according to my Docotr can expect another 5 years, maybe more with medication, before any more surgery is required.

If you love dancing, gamble to keep it as long as you can :)

Dennis

I tore a ligament in my foot many years ago in a motorcycle accident. The only way an X-ray will show it up is when they give you an anaesthetic and do a 'stress X-ray'. I was taken to the old Cambridge military hospital in Aldershot (now no longer) after my accident where I was the second person ever to have the ligament sown back together (the 1st was a Para who messed up landing on his first ever jump, the day before the op, but he did manage to jump the queue)
It took about 4 weeks with a plaster on and then a couple more of Physio before I was able to return to work but I have never noticed the problem since. Bear in mind that my hobby (other than brewing) is canal boating and I have to work all the locks since the missus had most of her insides removed.

Do not fear the operation. :nono: The recovery is much quicker and the after effects in my case were minimal. :clap:

Good luck

Graham

Thank you for all the responses, some excellent points to consider. I am investigating my option further and will need a more in-depth chat with my consultant now that I've recovered from the initial shock. I've also had a chat with a colleague who recently made the transition into "normal" life, and told me that she'd also expected the feel ready, but found that it wasn't until she'd settled into her new job that she began to feel comfortable about her decision.

Lots of food for thought - thank you for helping to put things into perspective.

Dennis

I know the're hideous and look ridiculous but try a pair of Crocs

They work wonders for me after having a foot problem that left me hobling in pain. I swear by them and couldnt cope without them.

Dennis,
I clearly don't know what your exact problem is, but the orthotics will be to allow weight to be borne on a different part of the foot. Try a pair of either Rocker soles or MBT ( Masai Barefoot Technology) - I know people who swear by them, they redistribute the weight away from the heel and forefoot.
If they don't work go for the steroid injection the hazards/side effects are really very small- the problem is that in these litigious times docs have to spell out every risk and complication so that if anything does happen it reduces the chances of getting sued.
In some soft tissue injuries e.g. golfers or tennis elbow, if accurately paced they are curative
Cheers RokDok

Latest posts

Back