novice brewer from newcastle (tyne&wear)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trophybitter

Reaction score
good evening boyz n girls.so im a novice and need a bit of advice,i like making bitters and largers.i use 5 gallon drum to make the beer add bag of sugar leave for 8-10 days you know what i mean,so it tastes nice but its lacking body.looking at the way i brew how can i add body ???.any advise would be greatfully appreciated.cheers

Hello fellow brewer, just starting to experiment myself but try adding Beer kit enhancer or Spray malt in place of the sugar that you're adding to your kit :cheers:

thanks folks,yes ill add malt instead of sugar next time cheers for that.im from sunderland origanly (plains farm) now living in geordie land (north shields).so how much malt would i add to the brew 5 gallons,which is the best malt to buy or is malt just malt ???? sorry if this sounds dumb but im new to brewing.cheers folks

By the way my first two brews were with sugar and turned out great ...however try a brew enhancer in place of sugar...or try 500g of dry malt extract and 500g of sugar (if possible dextrose)
the taste of the brew has a far better body and taste....or go the next stage and get a premium two can kit....twice the price but the outcome is amazing.

last brew i made was geordie bitter nice drop it was too but its lacking somthing.ive got john bull larger brewing at the moment just bottled it yesterday,looking forward to sampling a few bottles.but the next brew im going to try somthing different cos im getting bored of the way ive been brewing,dont get me wrong im doing a canny job but my beer is lacking body.

There's quite a few threads on here talking about it, hopefully someone will come along that can explain it better but it kinda depends what kit you're doing. If you're doing a light ale you want a extra light or light malt, if you're doing a bitter you want a dark malt. If the kit calls for an extra 1kg of fermentables try 50/50 malt and brewing sugar, personally i do 2 can kits :cheers:

so whats the crack with this 2 cans is it the best way to brew a nice pint ??.so how is 2 cans brewed and what is added,you dont av to go into to much detail as youve all been a great help already,just a point in the right direction will do.thanks

2 can kit has 2 cans of extract so you don't add any sugar...more expensive but nearer to how real beer's made, the Woodeford's kits are popular and most seem happy with the results

1 can kits are cheaper and you have to add extra fermentables ie sugar, beer kit enhancer, or malt or a combination of them. 2 can kits are more expensive but include everything you need in them. If you use somthing other than sugar in a 1 can kit its soon becomes not much cheaper than a 2 can kit, i'm sure lots of people have brewed great 1 can kits but personally i prefer 2 can kits :cheers:

ok folks thanks for the advice.im going to try 2 can brew,ive got a brew on now so ill put the 2 can brew away for xmas and new year once finished.lovely jubbley :)

Marrsy86 said:
Welcome!

Seems like the North East is getting a mini brewing army going on here!

:party:

Marrsy
yeah its cheap.if you have a night out ya need £50,4 cans is £4 and thats for swag stuff,good stuff like stella is
£5 for 4 sod that i aint paying that.anyways to be honest im not really a big drinker,i make my own beer cos its cheap and gives me somthing to do and theres always a beer in the fridge if i fancy 1.

Latest posts

Back