Nutritional Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back burn this as just been given huge tub of it ( gotta love mum) so vegan mac and cheese is covered for a while.. however I am dumping yeast down the sink and would like to know how to convert it to food grade

I'm not sure if it's really a viable option to make it at home from beer trub. This is from Wikipedia:

Nutritional yeast is produced by culturing a yeast in a nutrient medium for several days. The primary ingredient in the growth medium is glucose, often from either sugarcane or beet molasses. When the yeast is ready, it is deactivated with heat and then harvested, washed, dried and packaged. The species of yeast used is often a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. The strains are cultured and selected for desirable characteristics and often exhibit a different phenotype from strains of S. cerevisiae used in baking and brewing.

Washing is literally what it says on the tin. Taking whatever the medium is (in this case glucose) off and washing the yeast with fresh distilled water. It stops it from fermenting anyfirther.

Kveik (a type of Scandinavian beer yeast) go through this process.

Ok BUT cultivate yeast in glucose = brew

not sure what washing and drying means or if Saccharomyces cerevisiae is a brewing yeast
Most brewing strains are s. cerevisiae but not all s. cerevisiae are brewing strains. As that quote said, the selected strains are often different from brewers strains, but I don't know why.

Latest posts

Back