Oatmeal chocolate Stout idea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W0nderW0man

Regular.
Reaction score
Right.... so this could be a big mistake lol! I've been looking at some recipes and put something together which may not work at all. I admit, I know nothing about Stouts lol but I included things I would like.

I don't want it to be sour and I would like it to be a nice dark colour (black?).

Re: oats: Quite a big percentage but I liked what a guy on did with 23% and the colour the head had. Does it make a difference if you use supermarket rolled oats or do you have to use flaked ones?

I've seen that some people add chocolate as cocoa powder towards the end of the boil. Will there be any residue fat in the powder and would the powder settle nicely on the bottom?

Also... I am after a sweet, smooth stout. Not too sweet though, just nicely balanced and easy to drink. Would this recipe benefit from some lactose?

No idea of the hops... Should I use two different ones or use them differently in the boil? I didn't want to buy too many different things.

stout01.jpg

I've been looking through it the last few nights but couldn't find anything with that many oats and "choc"... And they are recipes, often with no comments. I'm still so new to brewing and a write up or some answers would be helpful.

I just typed in 'adding chocolate to stout' and 'adding oats to stout' - came up with plenty.....

Alright, I will search some more then or just try it out.

I was thinking though, as I'd like the colour a bit darker of what the above recipe would come out as. Could I substitute some of the Maris Otter with Dark munich (25) or would that make the beer too heavy then?

I think you will have to do a recipe and then tweak it if its not quite what you want unless you can taste test a recipe someone has done.

I have made a chocolate oat stout. Will see if I can find the recipe/notes tonight.

From memory

I didn't use cocoa, there's too many fats which can ruin the head. Use cocoa nibs - most HBS' stock them, or Holland and Barrett do. I also added a vanilla pod.

Rolled oats are fine.

You only need a bittering hop addition.

Can't find the recipe, but from memory:

63% Maris Otter
10% Flaked/Rolled Oats (I home-toasted these, but would leave them as is)
5% Chocolate
4% Carafa Special III
4% Biscuit
4% Dark Crystal
10% Lactose added at flameout.

Magnum to 25 IBU

1 vanilla pod per 10l added to secondary 5 days
200g Cocoa Nibs per 10l added to secondary 5 days

Can't find the recipe, but from memory:

63% Maris Otter
10% Flaked/Rolled Oats (I home-toasted these, but would leave them as is)
5% Chocolate
4% Carafa Special III
4% Biscuit
4% Dark Crystal
10% Lactose added at flameout.

Magnum to 25 IBU

1 vanilla pod per 10l added to secondary 5 days
200g Cocoa Nibs per 10l added to secondary 5 days

Thanks! That looks good :) But what's flameout? :oops:

How was the sweetness with the lactose?
I actually was under the impression that cocoa poweder has less fat then nibs as most of it is extracted when drying it.

I see you didn't add any roasted barley, most recipes seem to. Did you find it lacking any in the taste?

I've tweaked the recipe a bit but am a little worried about the roasted barley. I upped it slightly to get the right colour for the stout (I want it really dark), so I am wondering whether I should maybe add it later in the mash?

I was thinking about doing a beta-glucanase for the oats (and some pale malt) at 40 (30mins), then maybe a rest for the wheat and then a combirest at 67 for 60 minutes, then mash out at 78. Does that sound okay?

file.php

Back