Oatmeal stout with lactose as a late edition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafbach

Reaction score
Hi guys, has anyone added lactose to an oatmeal stout? I'm thinking of adding between 200-300g.

Thanks in advance

Daf

Lactose increases SG by roughly 344 points/kg/L meaning that adding 300g to a 20L batch you'll increase the FG by about 5 points. Lactose isn't all that sweet so at that rate it'll give a fuller mouthfeel but won't add a lot of sweetness, so it depends what you want really. Fwiw Jamil's milk stout has 450g of lactose (adding about 8 points) and an FG of 1.023.

Thanks for your comments guys, I will leave it out of the oatmeal stout and look to put it into a more traditional stout/milk stout that doesn't contain oats.

I was looking to add just a touch of sweetness to the oatmeal stout.

I have a suggestion... Use Mild malt to replace your base pale malt and mash at a bit higher temp. Should make it a bit sweeter.

I have a suggestion... Use Mild malt to replace your base pale malt and mash at a bit higher temp. Should make it a bit sweeter.
I usually mash at 67C, what temp would you recommend?

Go for 69c... You can mash higher, but to get good conversion, you'll need to mash longer. So I recon 69c would do.

Brewdog's jet black heart is an oatmeal milk stout. It's my favourite of their beers and a clone of it was the first full scale all grain batch I brewed. Very tasty beer, not too thick or sweet.

Back