OG too low

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atco_91

Reaction score
I always do a full volume mash and always hit my numbers (that's a debate for another thread). Unfortunately this time due to do a slight misread I've missed the recipe's OG by some margin. Aiming for 1.050 and got 1.041.

Googling is telling me to adjust with DME (which I don't have to hand). Do I stick to best policy here and leave it alone in the hope that something decent (albeit not the recipe's intent) turns up at the end or do I add DME a few days into fermentation to adjust accordingly?

Thanks all in advance. (been a while since I've posted).

You could adjust with a little granulated white sugar. Easy to do.

The wort you have will still make something decent. Just not as strong.
I I think that's what I needed to hear. Thanks for the reply, my policy is generally "leave it alone" unless there's a simple obvious fix.

ATB

I think that's what I needed to hear. Thanks for the reply, my policy is generally "leave it alone" unless there's a simple obvious fix.
So, you won't want to hear this:

Leave it alone! What do you expect from fiddling about with it? Trying to copy another's recipe? Dumping a significant quantity of sugar in it isn't going to achieve that!

I also "full volume mash". I can't understand the resistance against it (some people are bored enough to want to waste their time "sparging" for no apparent gain?). But my last brew came out 1.050 instead of 1.055 because of a slipup with volumes (well I'd never used "no-chill cubes" before). The resulting beer is fine, very good even. Perhaps it's not a good representation of 1914 Courage "X" (an early "dark" mild ale); so maybe I'll have to try again?

Latest posts

Back