Old bicycle tyres help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_Mc

Regular.
Reaction score
From the local car boot I picked up an old Viking road bike for £20, its pretty beaten up, but nothing that a bit of paint and elbow grease wont fix.
Problem is the tubeless tyres, I've never seen them before and google isn't playing fair. I had a chopper as a kid :cool: , these though seem to be stuck to the tyre rim and have no inner tube. There 27inch wheels, anyone have any idea where i could find some replacement tyres :?

Can't you replace them with a traditional tyre and inner tube?

I don't think you can replace them as the rim seems very shallow and don't think it would accept a conventional tyre
Off for a nosey at the link thanks Michael
Cheers guys :thumb:

That sounds like a "tubular" tyre or "tub". They're glued to the rim (hence the shallow profile) and they're predominantly used for track racing and you can still get them. I have them on my vintage 1979 Shorter sprint bike :cheers:

However, you definitely don't see many 27" wheels or tyres out there any more. This might help for info:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html

The only ones I can find on a quick search are these at £55 a pop :eek:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...dium=shopping&utm_campaign=Google-Products-UK

If it were me, I'd be looking to change the wheels out for some cheap 700c ones, although that's going to come at a cost as well...

Can't see any marks on the rims, but the old tubes have peugeot on them :wha:

I think if i remember 27" were being replaced as the norm by 700c in the late `80's so i think they might be hard to get.

it just so happens that i have a matching pair of 700x40 rims in aluminium complete with tyres tubes etc etc like brand new, i keep meaning to put them on ebay, they can't have done more than about 30 miles, i bought them for a bike i ended up chucking away.

Make me an offer if your interested, you will need to pick them up from congleton though.

UP

A big thanks for the offer Shane :thumb: , but the rims I have are ali and just need the tubes.
I can get silly with these things and spend a fortune and with it being an impulse carboot buy its not something I really want to spend a great deal on, just need somethinglighter to get back and to from work in the good weather, the mountain bikes way too heavy

Thanks for the info guys, I'll spend a few hours over the next few days sorting out the tyres and hopefully road worthy in the next few weeks :clap:
I was thinking about joining a bike site to ask for info , yet again though this site has helped

Sean :cheers:

Sean_Mc said:
A big thanks for the offer Shane :thumb: , but the rims I have are ali and just need the tubes.
I can get silly with these things and spend a fortune and with it being an impulse carboot buy its not something I really want to spend a great deal on, just need somethinglighter to get back and to from work in the good weather, the mountain bikes way too heavy

Thanks for the info guys, I'll spend a few hours over the next few days sorting out the tyres and hopefully road worthy in the next few weeks :clap:
I was thinking about joining a bike site to ask for info , yet again though this site has helped

Sean :cheers:

£30 for the pair complete with Tyres Tubes the Lot, and As I said like new I bought them new for a bike I was going to strip spray and do up, & they weren't cheap, I ended up scrapping the bike and bought a new one & kept the wheels.

Offers there if you want it.

Back