Old kit - possible stuck fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

issy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I found an old Muntons Imperial Stout kit at the back of a cupboard that was about a year out of date and I thought I'd see of it still worked. Apart from breaking my hydrometer, the initial phase went well and it bubbled away happily for a week or so. Unfortunately I don't know what the OG was due to the hydrometer accident :doh:. The fermentation appears to have stopped and I now have a consistent gravity of 1023 but I expected this kit to come down to around 1014.

Do any of you knowledgeable people know if this is too high a gravity to consider bottling the beer or am I worrying unnecessarily? I'm not bothered about the strength of the beer but I would like to avoid bottle bombs.

Thanks,

Issy

I did. It started fine and stopped noticeably bubbling after 9 or 10 days. It's now been sitting in the FV for 4 weeks.

Thanks Corvich.

I was hoping that would be the answer as I want to bottle it up this weekend and get a fresh kit going :grin:

Latest posts

Back