OMG - how bad is that let there be beer advert

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyUK

Landlord.
Reaction score
It might be a good idea but Tim Lovejoy in the worst advert ever.
Talking about drinking quality beer with food and using John Smiths in a can as an example.

Oh dear.

I think I just saw this one, based in a pub near me. All about some kind of delicious lamb ruined by John Smiths and Doombar?

Damn, I knew I'd forgotten something when I went into Sainsburys. I meant to get a few cans of John Smiths. I've got a big slug problem up at my allotment.

I wouldn't even waste money on it for slugs. There's bound to be a few manky dregs from your brews you can just bucket until you need them? I have been looking for something to do with them, so slug traps is a great idea, thanks :-)

Let There Be Beer is a joint campaign by ABInBev, Heineken, Carlsberg, Molson Coors and SABMiller.

Really... what did you expect? A foaming, hop-laden, malt-monster, beast of an Imperial IPA?

:rofl:

Not that I've drunk it in a while, but what's with the hate towards John Smiths?

When did that start?

K

calumscott said:
Let There Be Beer is a joint campaign by ABInBev, Heineken, Carlsberg, Molson Coors and SABMiller.

Really... what did you expect? A foaming, hop-laden, malt-monster, beast of an Imperial IPA?

:rofl:

Well Doombar in a bottle is far from the worst beer in those companies products but surely there must be something else rather than John smith's in a can to front an advertising campaign.

kev said:
Not that I've drunk it in a while, but what's with the hate towards John Smiths?

When did that start?

K

Anyone?

K

kev said:
kev said:

When did that start?

K

Anyone?

K

I've only drank John Smiths once, draught at a family do several years back, only that and lager available. After the first pint I wished I had driven and not drank that night I can honestly say it was the worse beer I have ever drank and I drank through the early 70s when beer was supposed to be at it's worse with Watney's, tavern keg etc.

Didn't they put the Smiths to 3.6%, didn't they decide to knock it down from 3.8 to pay less tax yet upped the price by 2.5p

Won't be long and it will be sat next to Kaliber

MadrikXIV said:
Didn't they put the Smiths to 3.6%, didn't they decide to knock it down from 3.8 to pay less tax yet upped the price by 2.5p

Won't be long and it will be sat next to Kaliber

Same as Stella, Strongbow, Boddingtons, Tetleys, etc.

Nobody moans about those brands

K

dennisking said:
kev said:
kev said:

When did that start?

K

Anyone?

K

I've only drank John Smiths once, draught at a family do several years back, only that and lager available. After the first pint I wished I had driven and not drank that night I can honestly say it was the worse beer I have ever drank and I drank through the early 70s when beer was supposed to be at it's worse with Watney's, tavern keg etc.

Couldn't it have been a dispense issue at the venue? Have you tried a pint elsewhere?

K

kev said:

Couldn't it have been a dispense issue at the venue? Have you tried a pint elsewhere?

K[/quote]

Only in cans, and that was awful, but I'm not a fan of canned beer.

I dinny mind it, mark and and I were talking about this the other weekend, obviously some beers taste nicer than others but I wouldn't say it's horrible, I could drink it no problem, I'm not a beer snob so anything is fair game.

I think most people are misunderstanding the campaign.

It's all about reintroducing people to the category that may have fallen out of love with beer. They may have moved onto wine spirits, etc. Therefore using household recognisable brands makes sense. From memory there's Sol and John Smiths in the ad. Both are decent beers and instantly recognisable and most importantly, they aren't challenging to drink.

The purists will argue that they should have chosen a 10% hop monster from Brewdog but that would turn people off rather than reintroduce them to the category and let the explore it themselves.

Just my 2c.

K

I think it's a good idea badly executed.
I like the idea of companies coming together to improve the category BUT if your advertising campaign that's on telly hasn't worked to sell your product why would you think that an advertising campaign (that has no-one product for people to talk about) is going to help?
They would of been better off doing some clever viral videos or starting some odd online thing.

On the note of JS, I don't like the stuff my self, if its a choice between that and lager I will drink the lager. No hate mind I just don't like the stuff.

Whilst I agree Kev if the massive breweries want to sell more then it needs to improve its product.
No one has mentioned going for an extreme Brewdog beer. I'm quite happy with a decent <4% ale TBH.

This is from Simon Cox of Molson Coors regarding this campaign

“There is an ever more diverse selection of beers available in our pubs and supermarket shelves. We’ve seen the emergence of a more discerning beer drinker, a growth in micro-breweries, as well as increased availability of beer brands from all around the UK and the world. Two decades ago there were around 2,000 brands of beer on sale in the UK compared to more than 5,000 on sale today.

We have more beer choice available, people are better educated regarding beer but the companies continue to trot out the same old tired product.
John Smiths gets a rating of 16 out of 100 on ratebeer BTW and Doombar 37.
I use ratebeer just as an example.

This let there be beer campaign is in its early days and is planned for 3 years.

Fair point but selecting an ale may alienate some of the target audience not just by flavour but by simple logistics. Very few ales are available nationally so John Smith's is the best fit for that genre. Even Boddingtons, Tetley, Caffreys, etc aren't in 100% distribution so having the clear category leader as your ale representative isn't a bad thing. If you simply don't like the product then it doesn't make it a bad choice. If they picked some craft organic thing then people in London might have felt part of it but people in Glasgow/Cardiff/Manchester wouldn't get it. It's a generic advert/campaign to introduce people to the category and then they can explore on their own terms and find these craft/niche brands.

The comment about "if they want to sell more they need to improve their product" is a bit harsh. I can only speak for the brewery I work for but the investment we are making in the brewing industry as a whole is phenomenal. It is truly staggering the investment we are currently making into the industry and the products are no different. I can't speak exactly about things for various reasons but there's no corners cut on any of our brands and the passion for a quality product/dispense/serve at all stages would amaze you.

I think there's a common misconception that all big brands are sugar syrup, hop extract, etc to save costs. It's simply not true.

Personally my opinion for the lack of beer consumption in the UK isn't down to poor products (in fact we could argue that we have some, if not THE, best beers in the world in the UK) but a social thing where people want to get as f*cked as possible in as little time as possible. Beer doesn't fit that. It's a drink to be enjoyed, shared, experienced over a relatively long time. It's not a shot or a hit that'll get you smashed and full of sugar/caffeine. When we change our habits then things will change but when young folk are drinking vodka by the bottle BEFORE they go out then do you really think they'll want a pint of Foster's when they get to a club?

K

kev said:
Personally my opinion for the lack of beer consumption in the UK isn't down to poor products (in fact we could argue that we have some, if not THE, best beers in the world in the UK) but a social thing where people want to get as f*cked as possible in as little time as possible. Beer doesn't fit that. It's a drink to be enjoyed, shared, experienced over a relatively long time. It's not a shot or a hit that'll get you smashed and full of sugar/caffeine. When we change our habits then things will change but when young folk are drinking vodka by the bottle BEFORE they go out then do you really think they'll want a pint of Foster's when they get to a club?

K

Again I agree Kev but the advert I mentioned was specifically regarding beer with food not the campaign in general.
It is great what you are doing in your brewery and the same is happening all over the country.
John Smiths has a large market share of the UK bitter market so I can see why the brewery would be against changing it but it doesn't make it a candidate for food pairing especially in a can and I agree with some of the Twitter comments that I can't actually think there is anything I'd want to eat with it and this is not being a beer snob.
Guinness would have been a better choice for a tinned beer IMO if it is from the portfolio of the companies involved ;)

Just had a look at the ad on Youtube. As an advert I am not sure how great it is. With regards to the comments on commercial brewerys there is no Micro with the money to do this ad campagin and it will hopefully end up bring them more business as well. While I would not choose to drink John Smiths, Tennets, Carling etc one thing that can not be argued is the consistence in the product. Haveing just started extract brewing I have no idea how there are able to do it to such a degree. With the quality of the hops and malt changing year to year they are still able to produce a consistent product.

They, in my opinon, are the right beers for people to try drink to try and get into beer due to them being not so flavour full. Once you can enjoy them then you can see how people will be more willing to drink a Punk IPA or APA and understand it. Not only that but as Kev said these beers are avalible everywhere while the smaller micro stuff is region specific.

The ultimate problem for me is that resturants will have a large wine list and mabe 5 beers usually all lagers. This has mader it seem like beer is not something that should be comsumed with food and is only really for drinking in the pub. I have started making a point of asking resturants why there selection of beer is so poor in the hope that it will encourage change (a man can dream!)

Latest posts

Back