One brew 2 beers....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolfster

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am going to be brewing on monday.
I am getting about 35L of wort which I have been splitting between 2 fermenters then hopping with different hops. I am going to do something a bit different on Monday....

When I start draining the mash tun, I will be keeping some of the first runnings seperate . Boil and hop the rest with my sparged water as normal.
In 2 different pans I will be boiling my first runnings (about 2L) and in another pan I will be adding some crytal, and chocolate malts and some water and bringing that up to about 90 degrees.
These 2 pans will then go into seperate fermenters and will be filled from the main boiler. This will give me a lighter beer and a dark beer.

This should work as the dark malts have already undergone conversion in to short sugars in the malting process.
Anyone think of any problems with this?

Anyone got any thoughts?

Its basicly a standard all grain brew but with 2 different additions to the different fermenters.
In one fermenter I am thinking 200g of dark crystal and 50g of chocolate as these don't seem to need mashing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart)
These will be added to 5L of water and brought to 90degrees before grain is removed and some boiling with irish moss.
The other one just gets some pure boiled first runnings and then will be dry hopped.
The main bulk topping these 2 fermenters up will be maris otter, wheat malt and oats, with pacific gem hops for bittering, and cascade and citra hops for the rest.
Its an experiement but is also 2 celebration ales for my new baby thats due in August. Trying to appeal to all tastes. Afterall what else would you want other than the choice of a golden ale or a dark ale..............

Sounds feasible to me, will certainly be interesting to see how it turns out. I recently brewed two beers in sequence by filing the mash tun with the second mash whilst the first wort was boiling. I like the sound of this though, two styles in the time it takes to brew one!

Congratulations on your impending arrival too! Hope your good lady and baby are both well :)

I often make two beers from one mash by steeping grains separately and/or boiling with different hops and/or using different yeasts. As long as everything is boiled properly it works a treat. My first ever AG produced s blonde pale ale and a stout. I steeped and boiled the dark grains separately, and added it to one of the two fermenter with about half of the pale wort, which was boiled with hops. Both beers were fantastic. I could have added the dark wort to half the pale wort before the boil obviously.

Cheers Beermarker

It looks like I am doing the same as your first AG Clibit.
Dont suppose you remember what grains you used for the dark part, how much of them and how much water? And you OG.....
I know I am probably asking a lot there! Just wondering....
I am slightly worried about ending up with a really weak dark beer.

Actually I have detailed notes! I keep records of every brew in Brewmate and cos it was the first one I wrote down everything that happened. I actually steeped the grains several days after the start of fermentation! It was an afterthought...

4250g Maris Otter (Crushed in blender!)

15g Centennial 60 mins
10g Cascade 20 mins
5g Cascade added to blonde FV 11 days after brewday
1 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins

(This seems like hardly any hops now, but the blonde beer was pretty hoppy I remember)

Mashed 4.25kg MO with 12 litres (72*C) in coolbox.
Settled at 65*C. Mashed 60/70 mins. Batch sparged with approx 10 litres @ 78*C

Collected c15 litres wort. (Sounds wrong now, should have got about 18L))
Split boil approx 9 litres and 6 litres, two pots.

Boiled 75 mins and added kettles of water. Produced 16 litres post boil.

Cooled in tub, took ages.

OG 1055
Added 4 litres cold tap water (untreated) and reduced OG to 1044
Split 20 litres approx 12 and 8 in two small FVs.

Pitched sachet of US05

After 4 days steeped 112g Dark Crystal, 84g Roast Barley, 84g Chocolate malt, 20g Black malt, 170g Cane Sugar. Boiled the wort and added it (about 1 litre) to 8 litre batch.

Batch 1 - Gold: bottled after 16 days, 10 litres. 45g sugar. Took at least a month to carbonate. Carbonation gradually improved over about a 3 month period.
Batch 2: Stout: transferred to secondary for 11 days, then bottled 8 litres. Also took a long time to carbonate. Beer had dropped very clear in secondary.

Both beers came out really well. Gold similar to Dark Star American Pale Ale which I drank at the same time in the pub and uses MO, Cascade, Centennial and Chinook. Stout was stunning. Mates were amazed.

Mash efficiency 69%

So, despite having no experience and making it up as I went along, I produced two beers I loved. I seriously got into brewing after that.

Adjust your grain quantities to match the quantity of beer you make.

Wow thats great cheers.
I just got my mash on and am gonna do a brew day thread if your interested....

Back