One for the olds - Ivor the engine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Entertainers Eddie Izzard, Cerys Matthews, Rhys Ifans and Rob Brydon have lent their voices to cult cartoon Ivor the Engine for its first production in more than 40 years.

The stars helped work on the audiobook, featuring seven new stories about the Welsh steam locomotive, during lockdown using "phones and goodwill".
Proceeds will go to Welsh children's cancer charity Latch.

Actor Ifans described it as a "pleasure" to read Ivor's Birthday.

The cheeky steam engine was the loveable locomotive of The Merioneth and Llantisilly Rail Traction Company Limited and known for playing in his local choir.

The "ahead of its time" animation - one of the UK's first cartoons - was made in the 1950s in Kent by someone whose insight into Welsh culture came mainly from Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood.

Bafta-winner Oliver Postgate wrote the scripts, filmed the scenes and voiced many of the characters - including Ivor's distinctive puffing sound - with Smallfilms partner and animator, Peter Firmin.

Although Bagpuss, voted Britain's most popular children's TV show in a BBC poll, and Clangers, which returned to the BBC recently, are Smallfilms' most famous productions, Ivor was its first.

On the 60th anniversary of Ivor's TV debut, Postgate's son revealed he was hoping to bring the cartoon out of retirement and turn Ivor into a film star.

Ivor's latest adventures will be the first time the locomotive has had an outing since the final television episode was produced 43 years ago.

"Oliver Postgate's stories were the soundtrack to so many childhoods," said Welsh broadcaster and musician Georgia Ruth.

"So it was a joy to get a chance to read one myself and help a really deserving charity at a difficult time

Good. An audiobook? Perhaps they will make a new TV series if it's successful.

But if so, *please God* it does not go bad, like Fireman Sam did after Mr Alderton's time. That was intolerable.

Super! Dai Station reminds me of my old Taid..the original Tom Jones.
I wonder who Cerys Mathews will play? Mrs Piano Forte had a posh English accent... perhaps she will be Bluebell the donkey...

Enjoyed Ivor and the rest of the lunchtime classics, Saturday and Sunday morning shows...
Trumpton
Bagpuss
Fingermouse
Mr Ben
Camberwick green
Button moon
Danger Mouse
Play Away

Thought I would start it before someone else does.

I think we had some classic children’s programs back in the 70/80’s
some of the junk they put out these days is just cringe worthy.

great cause with Ivor!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't forget Pogles Wood - what the hell sort of animal was Tog !!
IMG_2020-12-18-07-10-49-229.jpg

Back