oops how did that happen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bebop1980

Reaction score
Ooops i just accidentally ordered some new brewing kit and ingredients, how did that happen. ;)

looks like I'm going to have to brew a St Peters ruby red, Hefeweizen and an Amarillo American IPA.

Damn it!

:drunk:

I had the exact same thing happen here. I was driving home for lunch and I mysteriously found myself at the LHBS, before I knew it I was leaving with (nearly) everything I need to make my AG#2 - Ranger IPA Clone.

I think some long discussions are required, with some liquid refreshments to shape our thoughts, to ascertain what is going on.... :whistle: :drink:

Unbelievable, must be some thing going around. May need to watch out encase that happens to anyone else.

DSC_0118.jpg

What to do, mmmmmmm

The same thing happened to me today, I dropped the kids at school and before I knew it was leaving the LHBS with a sack of Maris Otter and a kilo of roasted wheat malt. I've just discovered I'm out of crown caps.... :party:

keith1664 said:
I've just discovered I'm out of crown caps.... :party:

Oh well you just need to make another trip and only get some crown caps. (wink wink)

is the amarillo the extract kit from brewuk? I've just ordered that plus a coopers brewmaster irish stout with dark spraymalt and some extra spraymalt for other brews. woohoo

abeyptfc said:
is the amarillo the extract kit from brewuk? I've just ordered that plus a coopers brewmaster irish stout with dark spraymalt and some extra spraymalt for other brews. woohoo

Yes it is, I will be brewing this tonight when i get home. Cannot wait, I was jumping around like a kid on xmas day when it all arrived.

Bebop1980 said:
abeyptfc said:

Yes it is, I will be brewing this tonight when i get home. Cannot wait, I was jumping around like a kid on xmas day when it all arrived.

nice one man. is it just me or is it only spraymalt and hops? there isnt any mention of grains

No grains, just extract and hops.

The Amarillo hops smelled awesome.

All brewed and fermenting away.

Cannot wait till this is ready to drink.

Bebop1980 said:

Those Amarillo hops are very nice, I did the Way to Amaraillo about 10weeks ago, and it's been conditioning ever since.

I had a pint after two weeks, and then I've been forced to have an 8week dry spell because of medication - roll on Thursday.

I gave a bottle to the neighbour and asked if I could smell it before he drank it :grin: he said it was very nice, and the hops smell amazing.

Hope it turns out well :thumb:

Bebop1980 said:

can you post your method of extract brewing, I've done 2 so far, I've got a mashtun/boiler type thing so theres dials for mashing temp and boiling temp , the first one I put the grains into the cold water in the boiler and turned to about 70 degrees and took it out after half an hour, then boiled the water and added hops etc, the second one I waited til the water got to 70, then steeped the grains for 30 mins at a constant temp of 70.

I cant see how this amarillo will work out with no grains, just water and spraymalt. I've got some light crystal malt, do you think I could add some for a bit of extra flavour or am I best not to? what sort of colour does this turn out?

Ok the kit came with the following.

3KG of Light Dried Malt extract
50G Amarillo Hops
1x Yeast (American ale) i think

Bring 6 Liters of water to the boil and add 1KG of the extract and 30g of the hops (leave for 40min on the boil)

Add another 2KG of the extract and 10g of hops (boil of another 15mins)

Turn off the gas/electric and add the last 10g of hops (steep for 30mins)

after this time add about 8 liters of water to the FV and strain the wort in.

Top up to the 21 liters and pitch the yeast when at the correct temp.

My OG came in bang on 1.050

[/quote] I cant see how this amarillo will work out with no grains, just water and spraymalt. I've got some light crystal malt, do you think I could add some for a bit of extra flavour or am I best not to? what sort of colour does this turn out?[/quote]

Not sure about the crystal more experienced guys may be able to advise.

It came out a dark golden colour but sure to lighten up when clearing.

I will post a pic when i am bottling in about 7 days.

thanks for that cheers, my stuff was delivered today from brewuk, they are very quick with delivery. i also had the thomas coopers stout delivered, dunno what to start first, im like a fat kid in a candy shop

looking like an epidemic, everyone beware.

The Amarillo IPA smelled awesome so i would recommend doing that first. :)

I better be careful then. I need to pop into the LHBS for a couple of small items, but I fear I'll be walking away with those PLUS AG #4... and possibly even 5 :eek:

Latest posts

Back