Opening brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about to walk 100' to my local and pay £3 for one of the best pints of Guiness I've ever had. If I had to go to another country for a cheaper pint I think I would cry!

I'm about to walk 100' to my local and pay £3 for one of the best pints of Guiness I've ever had. If I had to go to another country for a cheaper pint I think I would cry!

You lucky b.....d! Although we do plan to relocate back home... :whistle:

@Redron, I'm going to be up in Skye in a few weeks. Are there any good beers up there worth trying?

Err, no...
Completely subjective of course but it was the one good reason I started brewing again. One can only take so much Tennants lager and 80shilling I think it's Skye breweries that make red and black 'Cuillin' but it's not to my taste (Yorkshire boy). You could try the Stein inn, apparently serves some good real ales along with some excellent seafood so I'm told and is on my list to visit when all the flippin motor homes have buggered off home....!!!!
Oh, and pack your waterproofs .........

Yeah but it's gonna be an alright day on Monday weather wise in Edinburgh. And anyway, good excuse to try a few of the little boozers we have haha :-D

Try the Dagda on Buccleuch Street, best real ale pub I've found near the centre of Edinburgh.

Err, no...
Completely subjective of course but it was the one good reason I started brewing again. One can only take so much Tennants lager and 80shilling I think it's Skye breweries that make red and black 'Cuillin' but it's not to my taste (Yorkshire boy). You could try the Stein inn, apparently serves some good real ales along with some excellent seafood so I'm told and is on my list to visit when all the flippin motor homes have buggered off home....!!!!
Oh, and pack your waterproofs .........

+1 for the reason to start brewing again. I do like Skye brewery beers (skyeale.com/) personally. If you come across any Hebridean ales (brewed on Lewis) I urge you to try just one bottle. Its under conditioned, not clear, has an oily film on the surface and tastes horrible. It'll make you feel really good about your own beer.

That's why Norwegians do their shopping in Sweden...

I went skiing a few times in Norway way back in the 1970s - probably about 77 - 78. I remember being astounded at the price of a pint of beer. It was eye wateringly expensive. I think there is a strong policy of getting on top of an alcoholism problem there by just making it impossible to drink a lot. Dark northern lands the world over have a problem with people getting depressed and drunk in the winter. Happens all over the far north. Even here in Newcastle in mid winter the sun is only up about 7 hours a day - even if you can see it. The 55N line of latitude runs across the top of my garden.

I went skiing a few times in Norway way back in the 1970s - probably about 77 - 78. I remember being astounded at the price of a pint of beer. It was eye wateringly expensive. I think there is a strong policy of getting on top of an alcoholism problem there by just making it impossible to drink a lot. Dark northern lands the world over have a problem with people getting depressed and drunk in the winter. Happens all over the far north. Even here in Newcastle in mid winter the sun is only up about 7 hours a day - even if you can see it. The 55N line of latitude runs across the top of my garden.

Best have another beer then :cheers:

Best have another beer then :cheers:

I'm looking right at one. A cheeky little 3.4%, Citra jobbie. :cheers:

Noticed you are on the Isle of Sky. Had some great sailing and fishing holidays up there in the mid 1990s. Stayed in a cottage near Dunvegan - Right near a restaurant called the Three Chimneys. Fabulous times. I wanted to retire there, but when the time came, I didn't.

I'm looking right at one. A cheeky little 3.4%, Citra jobbie. :cheers:

Noticed you are on the Isle of Sky. Had some great sailing and fishing holidays up there in the mid 1990s. Stayed in a cottage near Dunvegan - Right near a restaurant called the Three Chimneys. Fabulous times. I wanted to retire there, but when the time came, I didn't.

Ah ah, you should have done ! I have been holidaying on Skye(from Yorkshire) since the late seventies and always knew I would end up here, and I did. Suits my outdoorsy, fishing, veg growing, beer brewing lifestyle to a tee, except it's nearly always p.....g down, or so it seems, this year has been a washout !
The Three Chimneys restaurant is an old haunt and favourite if you have a fat wallet !!!! Maybe for special occasions.... More interestingly, Neist point, just up the road, the most westerly point on the British mainland (now), is the best sea fishing on Skye with the chance to watch whales, basking sharks, puffins et al. I live South Skye. The bonus of all the rain this year is the rivers are full of sea trout and salmon and when it rains all day I have to brew beer... Win, win :-D

Ah ah, you should have done ! I have been holidaying on Skye(from Yorkshire) since the late seventies and always knew I would end up here, and I did. Suits my outdoorsy, fishing, veg growing, beer brewing lifestyle to a tee, except it's nearly always p.....g down, or so it seems, this year has been a washout !
The Three Chimneys restaurant is an old haunt and favourite if you have a fat wallet !!!! Maybe for special occasions.... More interestingly, Neist point, just up the road, the most westerly point on the British mainland (now), is the best sea fishing on Skye with the chance to watch whales, basking sharks, puffins et al. I live South Skye. The bonus of all the rain this year is the rivers are full of sea trout and salmon and when it rains all day I have to brew beer... Win, win :-D

LOL - sounds like heaven..... I never ate at the Three Chimneys, the house was just adjacent on the lock side. We used to go out with an old guy called John who had moved up there from farming in Yorkshire and catch lobsters and crabs in his pots. He used to sell them to the 3 chimneys. We had a GP14 and fished from it for mackerel. I think they were about the best hols we ever had as a family. There were loads of porpoises around the loch and seals of course. Just remembered the name of the croft we stayed at - Skinidin I think it was called - abt 100 meters from the restaurant. I saw the best ever view of the Perseid meteors from there - totally dark sky and completely clear. They were dropping in like a shower of fireworks against the clearly visible Milky Way. Living in a city, you are lucky to see the brightest stars because of light pollution.

Latest posts

Back