Orange/Corrriander Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Thinking of making an Orange & Corriander Pale Ale.

I want it to be ready quick so not too much OG or IBU's.

I'm thinking a straight 3.5kg pale malt with 300g pale crystal.

Peel of 4 oranges or a half/dozen satsumas into the last few minutes of the boil.

Not sure about the corriander though. How much to add? How? When?

not my kind of thing, but my thinking would be that coriander is all about the aroma, but is quite delicate, so I'd suggest adding the coriander post boil, give it maybe 15 minutes and then cool ??

I'm also thinking of fuggles for hops.

Maybe 30g at 60mins and some dry hopping.....

Oh, I'm also planning to do this on friday afternoon when I get home so probably be reduced mash time and 60min boil..........

Wheat beers are meant to be drunk young...maybe you could consider a decent amount of wheat malt/extract...

Orange peel you need to use bitter, sweet adds a grand mariner sort of flavour, not the citrus tone you are probably after. You can simulate this by using sweet peel (normal oranges, tangerines etc) and adding a little of the white stuff inside that you usually take off.

Coriander is Coriander SEED, which is totally different. one big lumped handful crushed and chucked in 15 mins before the end of the boil. Unless you mean actual coriander, in which case i'd probably use the ground stuff.

As for being ready to drink early, clear it out nice and quickly with gelatine/isinglass, a cold floor will work wonders. I find a big serving of aroma hops masks the flavours of a young beer, my last own recipe was pale extract and loads of bobek for aroma and it tasted great straight from the bucket! dry hopping will take time, I've had a beer ready in 13 days before so it's adding time on...

I would also consider a 90 minute boil - it will boil off more DMS meaning less young flavours...

Thanks but dont really like wheat beers....

Yes, its definitely going to be corriander seed not the fresh leaves! :lol: Ok, so a handful smashed and lobbed in at the same time as the chiller.

Thanks for the tips on quick clearing. So, now to get stuff set up for friday, which is rapidly approaching!

Do them both 15-20 mins before the end of the boil. that way you will extract enough of the flavour but won't have the actual flavourings in the FV :)

If you are using spices I would add it when it is in a secondry post fermentation. The reason for this is that you can gauge the flavour more precisesly in a finished beer than bunging in a load of spices and hoping that you haven't added to much. Spices can become overpowering, so i find that if you put them in a small sterilised muslin bag then you can pull them out once the desired flavour profile is reached. The coriander itself can be sterilised by putting in boiling water before crushing them or in a little vodka. It is dificult to gauge in the wort as the wory will taste nothing like the finished beer.

I would consider using cascade or one of the other american citrus hops.

:thumb:

Back