Orfy's Hobgoblin - Dark or Light Chocolate Malt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewed_Force

Reaction score
In Orfy's Hobgoblin recipe one of the ingredients is chocolate malt, but it doesn't say if it should be the dark or lighter variety. In my brew calculator I put in the light type but the colour comes out too light, not at all ruby like the real thing.
If I switch it to dark chocolate (1200) the colour does darken, but still not that dark (maybe newkie brown-ish colour).
I assume a few members have brewed this recipe before, what type of chocolate malt did you use?

Every day is a learning day, been brewing 11 years and didn't realise there were 2 grades of chocolate malt. I just use the one I can get from my supplier EBC 1050 and use a little Black Malt (20g) for colour adjustment.

As Sandimas says use some Black/Patent Malt for adjustments in colour, I prefer to add it to the mash for the last 10minutes so as not to get any bitterness from it and just the colour or some use a Black malt steep for the same reasons

I've not tried it yet (I will do in a batch at some point), but if you are just after colour, then use midnight wheat (apparently because it's got no husk, it's not as bitter) or cold steep the black malt overnight to reduce the bitterness you get.

Or a drop of black food colouring 😉

Latest posts

Back