Other hobbies

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, has anyone done the Wolf Run?
Hi Foxy, I've done 2, the Spring and Winter, loved them! Apart from laughing so much on the slide, mouth was open, big mistake, butsuch a giggle!

I’ve bought a guitar, with the hope of being able to learn to play.
Sadly, I don’t know anything about music, but on the other hand, it’s all going to be new to me 😅

I'm busy with an apple harvest and cider making now, but I think that might come under brewing.

When I'm not doing this for most the year, I do a podcast for fun: A History of Heavy Metal in 100 Songs.

I'm really into cooking as well. I was a chef for a bit but gone back to it being a hobby, for my birthday I got a couple of cooking classes at Migrateful I'm looking forward to!

Fishing and fossicking, just come back from the Snowy Mountains which lived up to its name, one month out from summer and it was snowing!
Got my first gold nugget with a hired Equinox 800, Ferret who I went with makes his living detectoring. Now have a brand new hobby after finding gold and not horseshoes and spent bullet cases. Caught some great trout in the slacks of the river, but the gold caught my interest. We have had floods and the rivers changing courses, throwing pebbles and minerals onto banks.

My first river borne gold nugget.

008.JPG

My next nine!

009.JPG

Last edited:
Fishing and fossicking, just come back from the Snowy Mountains which lived up to its name, one month out from summer and it was snowing!
Got my first gold nugget with a hired Equinox 800, Ferret who I went with makes his living detectoring. Now have a brand new hobby after finding gold and not horseshoes and spent bullet cases. Caught some great trout in the slacks of the river, but the gold caught my interest. We have had floods and the rivers changing courses, throwing pebbles and minerals onto banks.

View attachment 77234
Those nuggets are huge - how do you know they're not Iron Pyrites ?

View attachment 77234

My next nine!

View attachment 77235
Was you running the Nox on 40khz to find those?

Was you running the Nox on 40khz to find those?
Spot on, we are thinking of going to the Victorian gold fields next, we got flooded out the Snowy Mountains. Got stuck in the pub during one heavy rainfall in a town called Adelong, interesting history with the gold. The township has about 900 residents but during the gold rush the population was over 20,000! Different detectoring around Ballarat Bendigo region still some big nuggets turn up.
https://www.goldfieldsguide.com.au/blog/125/gold-prospecting-guide-for-ballarat-victoria

Thinking of trading the Etrac in for the Nox as its feeling a bit heavy lately..
I'm thinking of trading ferret for someone who doesn't have the inclination to go down every hole he see's. Great bloke to learn from but disappearing down old mine shafts using rusty old pegs to climb down isn't my go. In Victoria the crims depose of victims down the old mine shafts, Northern territory they are fed to the crocodiles.
I will be thinking of buying my own detector, any suggestions Clint?

Well it’s been a few weeks since I brought the guitar. It’s been out of the case twice due to work, funerals and pretty much everything else.
Anyway, my daughter brought me fender play lessons for my birthday. So I’m promising myself to do something every day.

If anybody else was once a beginner, any tips would be most welcome.

I'm thinking of trading ferret for someone who doesn't have the inclination to go down every hole he see's. Great bloke to learn from but disappearing down old mine shafts using rusty old pegs to climb down isn't my go. In Victoria the crims depose of victims down the old mine shafts, Northern territory they are fed to the crocodiles.
I will be thinking of buying my own detector, any suggestions Clint?
Do you intend to just hunt for gold or will you look for coins and other stuff at the beach?
The Equinox will serve you well in both areas but will take a bit of learning.

Do you intend to just hunt for gold or will you look for coins and other stuff at the beach?
The Equinox will serve you well in both areas but will take a bit of learning.
Just gold. It does seem complicated Ferret was showing me the basics but there are shops that give short courses on how to use them. From experience I know the shops will try to lean me towards one to most expensive one. I will just keep hiring for the time being, though I am keen now.

Latest posts

Back