Out of Curiosity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheyMouse

Drinking Buddy
Reaction score
Some beers later...

:?:
Just wondering, if one made some beer and wanted to sell it, what does one have to do? Can anyone set up a brewery in their shed, turn out a few barrels, and sell them through the local pub? I'm assuming not, or we'd all be at it, but what the process.

Happy weekend all! :drink:

If you really want to know get hold of a book called the Microbrewers handbook by Ted Brunning . . . it tells you exactly what hoops you have to jump through.

Be warned though once you start brewing commercially HMCE expect you to pay duty on everything you produce . . . including any homebrew!! . . . . but you can always claim ullage I guess :whistle:

I guess you might not know the answer but I'll ask anyway... Can you register an outbuilding separately to your dwelling with hmrc so you can still homebrew?

ano said:
I guess you might not know the answer but I'll ask anyway... Can you register an outbuilding separately to your dwelling with hmrc so you can still homebrew?

Not unless your outbuilding has a separate address.

Not unless your outbuilding has a separate address
That might not include a communal garage block though, which would have the same postcode but no specific address (though it would be land registered to your property). Naturally it would have a stated use which would be hard/impossible to change :roll:

You mean that your property is so small it only has one postcode? :rofl: (joke)

Over here you can register a home brewery, get a S&S certificate(safe and sanitary-which means tiled work area, stainless vessels etc) and then sell your beer to guests in your guest house-if you have a guest house. Otherwise you have to charge people 50C to come into your house and sign into the guest book-bit stupid but legal. The guest house needs to be within 'reasonable' distance to the brewery. In a rural area a reasonable distance could be up to 30km's. :cool: Currently Middle Earth Brewery is the smallest registered brewery in NZ @ 50L. The Lighthouse Brewery WAS the smallest at 100L.

I think there's a catch with adjacent property as well.

Latest posts

Back