Oxygen free dry hopping in conical fermenter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly3

Reaction score
I know many forumites attach their dry hops to the inside lid of the fermenter in a hop sock with a magnet in the bag, and a magnet outside. You can then remove the outside magnet letting the hops fall.

If your fermenter is Ss it should still not be magnetic, but probably best to check first.

I made my own dry hopper for a few dollars.
034.JPG

You could still adapt this to a tri clamp fitting, or just open the top and drop them in just before fermentation has finished. There won't be a loss of co2 and it soon builds up again.

Wondered if anyone had anything in place? I‘ve got a 7 gal Chronical and looking to get some kind of oxygen free dry hopping system going. The Malt Miller has this on their site:

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/1-5-tri-clamp-yeast-brink-with-exhaust-port/
However at 200 quid, I‘m sure there might be a cheaper option, clever that this one looks to be.

Cheers!
I realise that it’s two years since you posted this but having been experimenting today you might like this. I have a 7gall chronical. The pressing of the domed lid has induced a every small level of magnetism into the stainless steel, particularly at the edge of the dome. I’ve rolled up a bag of hops for dry hopping and tied a length of dental floss to the bag. I included four SS ball bearings in the bag. I secured the bag to the underside of the lid using neodymium magnets, one in each end of a vacuum packed bag, which was placed across the hop bag, with other magnets on the upper outside surface holding it in place rather like a sling.
I then put on the lid and tied the end of the dental floss to one of the lid fasteners.
when the time comes I’ll lift one of the external magnets away, the internal “sling” will release, the weight of the bearings will overcome the support of the sling and the hops will drop. the dental floss will hold the bag in the beer so that it doesnt drop to the bottom and interfere with trub removal/ yeast harvesting. Likewise the sling will remain attached to the inside of the lid by the remaining magnet and wont clog things up at the bottom of the FV.If the magnets do drop in the beer then theyre in a sealed bag and can’t contaminate the beer with rare earth metals. The ball bearings will prevent the very slight magnetism of the lid holding the internal magnet on. On the very small chance that they don’t, inverting an external magnet should repel the internal magnet.
Obviously the hop bag, floss, ball bearings, vacuum packed magnets were all soaked in Starsan before I set this up. The length of the piece of floss needs care, too short and the Hops will be dangling above the beer.
this all sound very complex when written down but it’s very simple really. I’ve been giving this a degree of thought and it’s a ton cheaper than some of the alternatives.
note of caution - if you’ve not come across neodymium magnets before - mind your fingers, they are amazingly strong.

Back