Oxygen suckback during cold-crashing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should be possible to use a light plastic bag and a rubber band around the airlock /fv neck. This way you still keep your airlock untouched, the bag balloons up, but is not sealed so well to pressurise because of the folds in the plastic and the not 100% seal by the elastic band.

Just for safety I put anything fermenting in a bin bag and use a band around the top. They regularly balloon - but is all CO2 in there, so I suppose it can blow or suck and wouldn't matter.
Plus it's easier clean up if things go a bit mad in there.

Still learning - and experimenting. Part of the fun :D

I'm about to cold crash a Kolsch, and this thread has me concerned. I might keg it, purge the O2 and crash it in the keg and accept that the first pint will be pond water.
That's what I do. Keg, fine, purge and carb/condition over 2 weeks.
The first half is cloudy then clear after that as long you don't move the keg.

OT - What kind of finings do you use, @foxbat ? I'm trying to avoid using animal products in my beers.

It had 5g Irish Moss with 15 minutes of the boil left, so not sure what else it'll need after that.
In the keg I use a two-part fining called Kwik Clear. It's incredibly effective but I'm afraid one of those two parts is the animal product gelatin.

I bought one of the bags @Braindead uses and cut the hose short. Filled it with co2 from the tank and capped it with a hose clamp. I put a syphon tap on the blow off tube so I can turn it off and connect to the bag without losing any gas. Probably overkill but I don't trust myself to put the bag on at the right time.
i could also uses the bag to blow co2 back into the FV after I open it to add finings. Does this sound like a good or bad idea?

Back