Panic Buying

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do just over 300 miles a week to and from work and usually fill up once a fortnight when the warning light comes on. When this story first arose, I stll had half a tank left and laughed at those queueing outside petrol stations, but by the end of the week the range was down to 240 miles and I realised that maybe I should have filled up.

Wasn't working today, so decided to prioitise getting some diesel, noticed that about half of the stations were closed or completely without fuel and the rest had queues outside. I queued for 5 - 10 minutes, so will be ok for 2 weeks, hopefully the panic will be over by then.

Are there any sites that tell you which are out of fuel?

Last edited:
On sunny Sundays it's become a habit for me and the missus to go for a blast on the ol' 1988 Yam 1200. Went to put some juice in yesterday but they were out of E5. Figuring I'd be wasting my time looking elsewhere I added a tenner's worth of E10 to top the tank off. I knew I'd soon get through it and be adding E5 again and reckoned no harm would be done. Well, half a mile down the road and the normally turbine-smooth motor just felt out of sorts and the rest of our 100-mile trip was plagued with an occasional misfire followed by surging acceleration. I recently overhauled the ignition system with new everything and that is 100% perfect. Beware the E10... it is poison. Gonna run the bike to near empty and use E5 only.

I always run my bike on super unleaded if I can, but if super unleaded is going to be mostly E10 in future, I can't see E5 super unleaded staying around for long, I'll have to go back to the bog-standard stuff.

As I recall, the situation is kinda reversed on the Continent; the last time i was in France,the bike ran like a dog on their basic 'ni-plomb' (which is E10), just as you describe. At one point I seriously wondered if I'd make it back to the ferry-port. But filled up in Portsmouth on arrival, and the bike ran sweet as a nut. My bike's not quite as old as yours, but old enough for E10 to be not recommended.

I always run my bike on super unleaded if I can, but if super unleaded is going to be mostly E10 in future, I can't see E5 super unleaded staying around for long, I'll have to go back to the bog-standard stuff.

I thought all super unleaded is E5 and that is not going to change.

All standard unleaded is now E10.

What is the alternative to using E10 fuel?
The good news is that super unleaded is set to remain at the E5 standard for five more years after the introduction of E10, according to the PRA. And most E5 currently only actually contains 2-3 per cent ethanol anyway.
The bad news is that it costs more – typically 15 pence per litre. So each time you fill up it could cost you an extra £6-10.

Last edited:
If you are going to panic buy do it properly ;)

1632771608153.png

They are limiting fuel here its the only fair way to do it, the selfish gits will always take the **** there is no way of stopping them at least the limit will help everyone get some fuel rather than allowing the selfish to take it all, with luck the penny will drop soon and the idiots will realise there is no shortage and things can go back to normal -

1632837606955.png

Last edited:
@Chippy_Tea
You're saying that the hoarding of fuel actually created a shortage?
There is no shortage. One company - BP closed some stations because of driver shortage, the whole country went into melt down and thought it was the end of the world. Just checked and the tanks are full of red diesel, not shortages here

@Chippy_Tea
You're saying that the hoarding of fuel actually created a shortage?

The media here love to make a mountain out of a molehill, there was no shortage of fuel just wagon drivers to deliver it so a few stations were closed, the press published this and went on to say there is no fuel shortage do not panic buy, all the idiots took that as meaning there was going to be a shortage and panic buying started then the same news outlets report fuel shortages because the selfish have all bought up all the fuel.
You couldn't make it up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back