Parsnip Wine - Is it done?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenJ

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started a small run of Parsnip Wine -Brewbitz Video recipe- in January.Starting Gravity was 1.128. In February and today in March the gravity reading is 1.026.

Is it done
or is it stalled

And what would you do?

Thank you. I used Youngs Dried Yeast. Not a special one.
I think I'll call it finished. It smells incredibly sweet - like a liqueur. I'm guessing it will be one for a quiet even sip in the summer. No knocking it back.

I'd be very careful with parsnip wine. There are loads of complex sugars in parsnips - it normally makes a very potent wine - almost sherry-like.
I make parsnip wine every year, and always use a high tolerance yeast - 1.026 does seem a little high.
To be on the safe side, I would be inclined to leave it a few more weeks, and seeing if the gravity goes down...

I've found in the past racking off to a fresh demi John will get the wine started again, usually do this multiple times and helps produce clearer end product.
Adding a little fruit juice to top up can also get it to drop a few more points due to fructose.

Latest posts

Back