Partial Batches

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptCaveman

Reaction score
Hi folks,

As you may have seen in my other thread, I am looking at investing in a home-brew setup.

I am thinking about sizing. A friend I have been brewing with uses 30l vessels and seems to get about 17l of beer at the end. This usually seems a little on the low side with the beer consumed a lot sooner that we would be naturally inclined to brew again. However, 20l batches do seem the be standard and from what I read, when brewing larger batches, the logistical challenges increase quickly.

My question is this: if I were to buy 50l vessels - could I still brew 20l batches - are there any complications or special considerations when brewing partial batches? The only thing I can think of is if the depth of the mash was too shallow, then there may be inadequate filtering?

Thoughts?

Hi folks,

As you may have seen in my other thread, I am looking at investing in a home-brew setup.

I am thinking about sizing. A friend I have been brewing with uses 30l vessels and seems to get about 17l of beer at the end. This usually seems a little on the low side with the beer consumed a lot sooner that we would be naturally inclined to brew again. However, 20l batches do seem the be standard and from what I read, when brewing larger batches, the logistical challenges increase quickly.

My question is this: if I were to buy 50l vessels - could I still brew 20l batches - are there any complications or special considerations when brewing partial batches? The only thing I can think of is if the depth of the mash was too shallow, then there may be inadequate filtering?

Thoughts?

If you plan to Brew in a Bag then a 50L pot is the perfect size for a 23L bacth, how are you going to heat using gas?

If you plan to Brew in a Bag then a 50L pot is the perfect size for a 23L bacth, how are you going to heat using gas?
Thanks Covrich. I don't plan on brewing in a bag.... I was thinking of a false bottom setup. What do you mean by how will I heat using gas? By burning it I suppose :-) But I'm thinking that was not your question!

Hi folks,

Thoughts?
I've not seen your other thread but 17 litres seems a bit low. I can't see any figures for what the starting volume is. I do extract with grains and I put about 21-22 litres in the FV and get around 20 litres bottled. You could double up on 30l kit rather than just go for 50l. If you have the space there's more flexibility there. If you're always going to do 50 litre batches with one 50 fv you tie it up. Trick is to build up a stock.

Back