Passivating SS Brew Bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I bought a Brew Bucket, it's the first SS conical fermenter I own. I understand I need to passivate it before use which involves using starsan on the surfaces for 20 mins. This makes sure the stainless steel doesn't react and therefore doesn't rust etc.

Can I use the starsan afterwards to sterilise other things? For example can I refill my spray bottle with it?

Would it be best to passivate it on my next brewday so it's sterile and ready for a batch of beer, or does it not work like that?

Thanks.

You can reuse the Starsan but the passivation will come from oxygen in the atmosphere when it drys.
For sanitising, I don't know if you are able to get proxitane or PAA but that is a no rinse sanitiser which doesn't have to dry before use like Starsan, just a spray around with that and you are good to go. Be careful with it though.

If you read the data sheet
Starsan doesn't have to dry for sanitising.
Homebrew use: Thoroughly wash all surfaces with detergent or a compatible cleaner, followed by a potable water rinse before application of sanitizing solution. Prepare a use solution of 1 oz. of Star San per 5 gallons of tap water. Apply on surfaces with a cloth mop, sponge, spray or by a 5 minute immersion. For spray applications, use a course mist, with pump or trigger spray. Spray 6 to 8 inches from surface; rub with a brush, cloth or sponge. With spray, cover or remove all food products. For all applications, allow to air dry, however surfaces must remain wet for at least one minute

Air dry as opposed to drying with something that could potentially carry microbial contamination, surely?

Air dry as opposed to drying with something that could potentially carry microbial contamination, surely?
Thats their specs for use, let whatever is going to be used dry off. I don't personally use it I am particular what goes into my beer. I would use the Starsan which doesn't include dodecylbenzene which is also used in pesticides. I am happy with proxitane, surfaces can remain sterile for several days in a closed container and is safe without drying.

eeeh my head hurts following thr flow of this thread ...
sorry I'm jumping in:
  • Starsan can be used to passivate because it contains phophoric acid which like nitric acid is a passivating agent
  • The passivation finishes by oxidation of the surface (chromium in the SS surface actually) and as there it not enough oxygen in the liquid it really does need the atmosphere to provide the oxygen (hence the comment to air dry)
  • The starsan doesn't need to air dry to sanitise because it also contains a chemical, which is a bit like a super duper washing up liquid that rips cell membranes (and therefore most of the bacteria) apart. The phosphoric acid nobbles and reacts with the bits from the inside of the cell.
  • Its unlikely that you will passivate a dirty SS surface well as the phosphate will be used up reacting with the "dirt/cell debris" - clean it well first.
and yes totally agree that citric acid also passivates SS, but again clean it well first and remove any grease (including finger prints!). Alcohol does a good job of that athumb..

When I bought my two 32l pots I phoned Malt Miller and asked about such things....
"Give them a good oxi soak and scrub and starsan if you like.."
Oxi soak and scrub to remove any manufacturers **** and there's no need to sanitise boilers really.
I would sanitise anything else though.

I would use the Starsan which doesn't include dodecylbenzene which is also used in pesticides.

I have to agree, I make my own version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why put a post like that up...someone is bound to try it...
Regarding starsan...it's called a "no rinse" sanitiser...also there's loads out there saying "don't fear the foam"..as in don't bother rinsing it off...

I don't let it dry, I think it's fine. Considering the air is full of wild yeasts and bacteria etc, I'd have thought letting it dry is a bad idea as these bugs could easily settle on the surface. Not that I' arguing with them on how to use their own products...

Pesticides on grain are washed off during the malting process, on the other hand if you want to worry about something, use rice hulls one of the most sprayed crops on the planet. I used to think they were washed but they are only washed for animal feed, I used them in the hydroponics as a medium and they started growing!

Why put a post like that up...someone is bound to try it...

(my caveat on the Triton recipe was actually more for humour as of course somebody would try it and I'd rather they be safe and ask rather than "play" and get it wrong - but your right human nature and all that)

Latest posts

Back