Pasteurising beer /cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyderspace

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

my cousin has just had a kidney transplant and the doctor said he could only drink stuff that's been pasteurised. We often drink my homebrrew together so I'm wondering whether I can do anything about it.

So my question is, if I make beer from boiled grain, does that count as pasteurising? Probably not?

cider is a cold process so that's probably not suitable either.

if I boil either before bottling, does that kill the alcohol or will it do anything else that will affect the drink adversely? Does boiling count as pasteurising?

(Post boil) wort is pasteurised, but most beer (i.e. fermented wort) isn't since it still has living yeast in it. If that makes sense.

You can pasteurise homebrew, but you'd have to force carbonate as the yeast would be killed. Some larger breweries do this to improve shelf life.

You can pasteurise after carbonation in a deep pan. Just put a rack in, then the bottles then fill up with water, and bring it to pasteurisation temperature and keep it there until done.

The husband of my wife's sister has dialysis 3 times a week. He has had an odd HB at a BBQ at our place over the years, but this is not a great move in as much as he has no kidney function and thus he "cannot make wee" (his words). So most often, he declines the offer.

Taking in non-essential fluids are apparently not a great idea, with dodgy kidney function.

Neither is eating a lot of protein, over and above the necessary to sustain functionality, but that does not seem to stop the great fat (profanity) from weighing in at circa 300 lbs.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll look into pasteurising.

I should explain that his doctors have advised he can lead a normal life on one kidney and drink like anyone else. They advised me the same thing because I gave him the kidney. It's trickier for him because he has to worry about rejection.

Anyway, I didn't mean this to be a medical post, just a pasteurising post!

Ok, you really need to look it up. Off the top of my head, around 62 degrees the alcohol will split from ethanol to the other, dangerous alcohol. This is why distilling can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. pasteurize temp is 72 degrees, I think. However, if I remember, the boil temp of alcohol increases as the ratio of alcohol to water decreases. I once started to look into this as a solution to kill off the yeast but as I started reading, found that a portion of yeast in beer is actually healthy to your body so stopped going that direction. I would really research this to see the pros and cons of doing this.

I pasteurize cider and ginger beer alot, I assume the same process can be applied to beer.

When I bottle the cider I will add around 30-40g sugar / L for carbonation and residual sweetness, which if left un pasteurised would explode the bottles. After I have the desired carbonation I heat a large pot of water to 80C, place the bottles in for 10 mins, remove and leave to cool to room temp. Never had an exploding bottle which means the pasturisation had always worked. I have heard of doing this in the oven too but the heat transfer will be much better in water. There is a good thread somewhere on here about pasteurization.

I am a little cautious doing this as the pressure in the bottles when heated will be very high, I wear a leather jacket, oven mitts and a diving mask as protection incase any explosions of scalding water/cider.

Latest posts

Back