Pb pressure ,carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottle anything you want fizzy like lagers, wheat beers, ciders, etc. Use your PB for English ales, bitters, Irish stouts, Russian imperial, porters, Doppelbock, also pale ales and IPAs if you don’t mind these lightly carbonated. Lots of choice.

Bottle anything you want fizzy like lagers, wheat beers, ciders, etc. Use your PB for English ales, bitters, Irish stouts, Russian imperial, porters, Doppelbock, also pale ales and IPAs if you don’t mind these lightly carbonated. Lots of choice.
Ipa is my only drink

I only like IPA because of the various factors u can add with hops and yeast
What's the most sugar can be added to a youngs pb 23 litres batch

I only like IPA because of the various factors u can add with hops and yeast
What's the most sugar can be added to a youngs pb 23 litres batch

You can add as much as you like in the sense that it’s safe - excess pressure will just be released through the safety valve. If you’re using kits, use the amount suggested in the kit.

Mmmm now I have this after 4 pints probably 3 small glass
Air is getting sucked back in
I have nitrogen because site said best draught pint
Or c02 which came with it ??

Don’t allow air to get sucked in, it will turn your beer bad, and quickly.

If you have CO2 bulbs/bottle use it now to drive out any oxygen in the head space.

Nitrogen is no good to you at all for carbonating beer. Beer will not absorb nitrogen. You have to use CO2 for carbonation.

I've read about 120g I'm being mislead lol
Don’t allow air to get sucked in, it will turn your beer bad, and quickly.

If you have CO2 bulbs/bottle use it now to drive out any oxygen in the head space.

Nitrogen is no good to you at all for carbonating beer. Beer will not absorb nitrogen. You have to use CO2 for carbonation.
Just used a nitro to see

Attachments

• 20210204_205827.jpg
    20210204_205827.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 34
When you have a corny keg setup then nitrogen *may* be useful. Gas is used to carbonate beer and to push the beer through pipes to a tap. If you have to push the beer a long way (20 meters for example or up two floors) you need quite a high pressure. If this pressure was created using just CO2 the pressure would be such that the beer would be so highly carbonated it would just be foam. So in this situation part-nitrogen part-CO2 (75%,25%) is used because nitrogen provides pressure but not carbonation.

Another problem with PB's is that if you use sugar to carbonate your beer. Keeping that PB pressurized can be a pita as it almost always gives out nearing the end of the barrel :c

@labrewski no easy way to put it but pressure barrels are absolute effing shaite. They're rubbish from a bygone era that people use because they don't know far, far better solutions exist or just want to pig-ignorantly persist with them. Even with lower carbonated styles they'll f*ck you over again and again and again. They are ****.

My friend Jon not that long ago ended up with four King Keg top taps when they got sent them to do homebrew kits reviews for the papers. Even with all the tweaking only one of them is barely usable. He's getting three cornys of the 15th when he gets payed and I've sent him loads of bits to get him started.

Even if you can't get a gas supply you can use corny kegs primed with sugar to fully deliver an entire keg. The carbonation will vary over its life but with 3/16" tubing, and if you want a flow controller, you'll avoid all the horrors of those plastic nightmares and have pints with carbonation you can enjoy, rather that pint after pint of froth with a chaser of flat beer.

To anyone that has zero problems with plastic barrels - my sh*ts given remains at zero.

Latest posts

Back