Peach IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Nicol

Reaction score
I'm doing a peach IPA the things have arrived from malt Miller today just wondering the best way to add peach? I've been told by a friend that he used 1 can of peaches per litre (25)

Not sure when to add? Any advice ?

image.png

I have seen references to a peachy flavour from Citra hops as well as Simcoe and I suspect that that would be the intention of whoever made up the recipe.

I don't quite see why anyone would want to add 23 cans of peaches to a beer.

Is it possible your friend is, shall we say, taking the peach?

You said 1 can per 25 litres, not 1 can per litre, right?

There are a few points you can add them, during the boil, at the end of the boil, at the beginning of primary or in secondary. Later in the process will probably give a stronger peach flavour but you will always lose something through the action of fermentation.

One thing to check is that the peaches don't have lots of preservatives in them. I think this can be an issue with dried fruits. If there are too many preservatives then they can stop your yeast working, or at the least stress it out.

I have seen references to a peachy flavour from Citra hops as well as Simcoe and I suspect that that would be the intention of whoever made up the recipe.

I don't quite see why anyone would want to add 23 cans of peaches to a beer.

Is it possible your friend is, shall we say, taking the peach?

No I watched him do it the 7p cabs from netto at the boil & tbh it's not as peachy as ud think

Any surggestions ?

I made a Summer Glory clone and added a nice peach essence to the bottles. I have some left and if u want it PM me and its yours.

No I watched him do it the 7p cabs from netto at the boil & tbh it's not as peachy as ud think

Any suggestions ?

OK - I stand corrected on this one!

From what I can see, canned peaches might contain about 60g sugar and ascorbic acid. 500g of sugar in 25L raises the ABV by 1pecentage point, so 4% ABV to 5% ABV. That would be nearer 8 cans to a full batch.

Just laughing at the thought of trying to empty 25cans of peaches into the FV and cursing. Wouldn't you rack to secondary onto fresh peaces. Someone on here did a Wheat Beer with Raspberry's and that looked amazing. From what i remember tinned peaches don't have a strong peach taste.

Ferment it warm using US-05. I've read US-05 gives peach like esters when fermented warm (and weirdly enough fermented cold at the bottom end of its temp rang of 15C)

Vermont Ale Yeast gives something resembling peach in its ester profile

I think your hop choices are good, but I would also recommend rakau.

I used fresh, cut peaches when doing a Berliner Weisse. Unfortunately it smelt like death and I could never bring myself to taste it so never found out if I'd used enough peaches.

Next time I use fruit, I'm going to use the puree stuff (no extra sugar or preservatives) in a squeezy bag that they use in cocktail bars. Sorry, can't remember the brand name.

Latest posts

Back