The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owen Sylvester

Reaction score
Hello,
I am fairly new to homebrewing and have mainly stuck to making wines. However due to a recent high yield of pears from the garden, I decided to use a friends pear presser and I now have some pear juice which I am keen to make good use of.
It seems like perry is fairly difficult what with having to add acid in some way or another so I was wondering if it was possible to make pear wine from the juice alone? All recipes seem to suggest the use of pears in their full fruit form and can't find much by way of using the juice as the starting point.
Any suggestions or explanations on either perry or pear wine would be much appreciated.

Perry isn't difficult at all. Just do it the same way as cider from apple juice. Add campdens. 24 hours later add yeast and nutrient. Rack off when the OG isn't falling anymore. Due to natural non-fermentable sugars Pear Juice won't ferment to 1.000. Perry is always my favourite - a little sweeter than cider that always ferments to dry.

And if you have enough juice, you can try experimenting by doing one demijohn completely standard, next with a couple tablespoons of citric acid (lemon juice) to make it a bit more tart and a 3rd with some flavoured syrups like raspberry lowizc

Latest posts

Back