PH Test Strips

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-Lowe

Reaction score
Anyone else using pH test strips to test the pH of their water?

I've been using regular tap water on recent batches.
It's coming back at 3.5 or 4.0. Can be hard to match the colors on the strips to the chart.
The color seems to change a little if I leave the strip sitting for 10-15 minutes.

Should it show a clear solid color???

I generally used them to test mash pH as this is where your efficiency can be affected,alongside any water treatment and roasted malts added....I think.
My beer seems to be ok so I don't bother any more.

I use them and sometimes they can be a hard to match up against the chart. My last brew I sampled tap water, my mash water (with lactic acid) and a beer I was drinking. It was much clearer then and gave me a bit more confidence in them.

I generally used them to test mash pH as this is where your efficiency can be affected,alongside any water treatment and roasted malts added....I think.
My beer seems to be ok so I don't bother any more.

Same here, used to test the mash and adjust but stopped when I ran out of papers, didn't seem to make any noticeable change to the beer.

Yup and 10/15 mind later is no use. Ignore that.

Are they in date and have do you keep them sealed airtight. Let's not assume the test is correct.
Thanks MashBag. Think that was my problem. The instruction sheet was missing. But I found some instructions online. You're supposed to take the reading after 15 seconds. Not 15 minutes. The time delay was giving readings that were way off.

Color kept slowly changing. Lesson learned. Make sure you know how to use them first. I feel like such an idiot! Some clear instructions over here: ph test strips.

What kind of ph readings should I be getting for tap water lager? I've read online it should be somehwere around 5.0. My tap water is slightly acidic. This probably doesnt help with the low ph readings.

We use the strips after CIP for confirm caustic has gone and PAA is there.

Would say get yourself ph monitor for brewing over the strips.Can pick them up fairly cheap on eBay and once calibrated are much more accurate

We use the strips after CIP for confirm caustic has gone and PAA is there.

Would say get yourself ph monitor for brewing over the strips.Can pick them up fairly cheap on eBay and once calibrated are much more accurate
Can I jump in this thread and ask when during the mash/ brewday I should check?
I got a cheep tester recently but didn't use it last brew as I wasn't sure when or even how to adjust it🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I regularly nick a few litmus papers from the grand-daughter's chemistry set. As long as the blue one turns pink, I'm happy enough.
Ahh, the marvels of science. How ever did we manage without such precision!

I suspect that the pH buffer capacity of your mash liquor (water indeed!) will be overwhelmed when hit with 6 Kg of crushed malt. Most worts are brownish & will interfere with interpretation not to mention (male) colour blindness. I try not to sweat the small stuff.
I’ve brewed with Thames Water (hard) & Northumbrian Water ( naturally soft but mixed with some hard aquifer stuff so not to dissolve old lead pipes) both produced decent beer. If I had to dig a hole in a desert to find water I might have a different view point.

Can I jump in this thread and ask when during the mash/ brewday I should check?
I got a cheep tester recently but didn't use it last brew as I wasn't sure when or even how to adjust it🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I take a reading about 15mins into the mash and adjust accordingly if it is out of my target range.
I'd then take a reading pre and post fermentation - mainly as reference if I have any issues with the beer further down the line.

I would say however that once you have your water treatment dialled in 9 times out of 10 you will hit your targets and your tests will just be for piece of mind

Latest posts

Back