picking elderberrys

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fran

Reaction score
i phoned my mate tonight to ask him how many elderberry trees he has on hi
s 60 acre farm and his reply was a 10 minute explanatioin of where they are and how to get to each tree.
after telling him what its for he offered to take me down there in the jcb and sit me in the bucket and lift me to the berrys i need to pick in return he wants a bottle of wine :thumb:
we are going for a long walk on monday night around his farm to see if they are ready for picking

the question is how many do i need for a 30 litre batch brewed in the 15 litre water bottles from supermarket
i would apreciate it if you could give me a rough measurement in carrier bags

i.e. 5 carrierbags full :D

Recipe wise gallons are easier, so 30L =6.6 gallons call it 6.5, and the ingredients for 1 gallon are as follows
3 lbs Elderberries
1 kg Sugar
250g raisins
500ml Red Grape Juice (optional)
1 Lemon
Boiling water to 6 pints
1 tsp Pectolase
Red Wine Yeast or GP Yeast Compound & Nutrient

Strip the berries from the stalks by using the prongs of an ordinary table fork (otherwise it is a messy and tedious business), then weigh them and crush them in a bowl, add the soaked then washed (in boiling water to remove vegetable oil) chopped raisins. Pour on the boiling water, and then let it cool to about 20 degrees before adding the yeast. Leave three days, stirring daily, then strain through muslin on to the sugar. Pour the liquor into a "grey hen" or dark glass bottle (in clear bottles the wine will lose its colour), but do not fill completely until first vigorous ferment has subsided, plugging the neck with cotton-wool. When the ferment is quieter fill to bottom of neck, and fit fermentation trap. Leave till fermentation is complete—it may be longer than most—then siphon off into clean, dark bottles and keep for six months at least. [Copied from CJJ Berry, with slight modifications]

A step by step picture guide is here

I picked a few earlier this week, two-thirds filled a 25 litre fermenting bucket, that gave me 8 lbs of berries after stripping and skimming.

For 30 litres you'll need around 20 lbs or berries, so I'd guess 6-8 carrier bags.

And the best of luck, stripping more than a couple of pounds at a time rapidly becomes a tedious PITA, that 8 lbs took me about 80 minutes.

thanks for your replies i will have drunken help stripping them from the stalks so i will have it easy :lol:
i wont be freezing to make easy but do need his JCB to speed things up
my plan is to remind him all my dad said about how nice the wine is then leave him doing my job whilst supplying him with beer :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: he loves it

I found almost 4lbs of bunches-snipped-off-the-trees gave me 3lbs of berries, enough for a gallon, and that was a nearly full carrier.
They're not ready round here yet - only just starting to colour up.
I'm gonna try freezing a bunch to see if they come off the twigs easier.

thanks old bloke that was the answer i was looking for
will let u know how it goes
thanks all

Once found some in a cupboard at home when i was a nipper - mother had made it years ago.
I can still remember the smell and taste even now absoluteley gorgeous it was.
Got some seeds on the way so hopefully in a couple of years i'll have my own home grown ones here in turkey to mess with! :cheers:

I have 5 gallons from last year, in no hurry to bottle it though as i have plenty of wow to keep me going, cheers Dave NE

Back