PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or you could just buy a tap and drill a hole in one of your old FVs,

You've never seen anything I've had to build/mend/make have you...

To be fair I had a bottling bucket which I made myself but couldnt get the tap off to give it a good clean which is where I was having problems before I think. I presume ready made ones are made with this in mind.

That's interesting I was looking at the speidel ones as the top looks big enough to get in there when you clean it.
I bottled my weizenbock straight from the tap. It caused the beer to foam , so I ordered some silicon tube to attach from the tap to a bottling wand. I have a big hopped hazy pale fermenting in it, I can't take the chance of it foaming.

I bottled my weizenbock straight from the tap. It caused the beer to foam , so I ordered some silicon tube to attach from the tap to a bottling wand. I have a big hopped hazy pale fermenting in it, I can't take the chance of it foaming.

No definitely not. I'll have another look around maybe then

IMG_20200415_210259036.jpg
I am just getting ready to bottle my heffweizen. There is nothing wrong with that fv. I don't bother with an airlock. The speidel is a nice bit of kit I just think the tap could be better. Everything else is spot on

You might want to hold of on my review I am experiencing similar results when bottling the heffweizen, not as bad but the beer seems to fizz. I have never brewed a wheat beer before or used wb-06. Any ideas

Attachments

• IMG_20200415_211459667.jpg
    IMG_20200415_211459667.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 53
Sort of, I couldnt get the bag out so I tried to siphon out with bag in, then bag blocked siphon so got bag out but it opened, bits of hops coupled with disturbed trub got everywhere, bit of a balls up really. :confused.:

Dont ask why I couldn't get the bag out first time, I was just being a dick and trying to fish it out like a 10lb trout.
I'll take some photos when i bottle then. It also means you don't have to mess around with hop bags athumb..

You might want to hold of on my review I am experiencing similar results when bottling the heffweizen, not as bad but the beer seems to fizz. I have never brewed a wheat beer before or used wb-06. Any ideas
I have brewed a wheat beer but can't remember if it fizzed when bottling anymore than normal. I'm sure it'll be fine, I've occasionally had a good splash around whilst bottling and never noticed the difference.

Today I didnt brew the abbey ale that I thought I would. Looking through my boxes of hops and malt I thought I'd use up some of the old stuff I had.

1kg munich
3kg pale
300g biscuit
100 chocolate

In at 66c for 90mins

20g fuggles @ 60
25g Bobek @30
10g fuggles and 15g styrian @10

Forgot protofloc.

Got a bit more boil off than planned so ended up with 17.5l in the fv, was going for 19.

Cooled and pitched safale us 04. In the brew fridge at 20c. Og 1054, ibu 27. Tastes lovely, more bitter at this stage than I thought but floral and earthy?

Bottled up the treacle beer (unsure what style it falls into).

60g sugar for priming, 18x 500ml bottles without a drop wasted. Fg 1014 giving it a pokey 7.6% abv.

To be honest it had become part of the furniture, I hadn't realised it had been in the fv for more than 3 weeks. Taste wise, very alcohol at first sip, by sip 3 other malty tastes come through, not much treacle, unless the strong alcohol taste is treacle bitterness. Not unpleasant but needs a fair bit of conditioning. Look is lighter than expected, more dark brown than black.

Overall, am waiting in expectation.

Brewed up the abbey ale I said I was going to brew last week.

4kg pilsner
900g vienna
400g biscuit

Mashed for 90mins at 66c.

Boiled for 60

Perle 30g @ 60
Styrian Goldings 20g @5

Cooled down to 30c and put in brewfridge to cool down to pitching temp of about 23c. Fridge set at 20c, but will slowly raise the temp over the coming days. Og 1055 19.8 ibu.

Yesterday and before I borrowed Harbeys recipe for an orange saison I decided to use up my wheat malt that i had kicking about, so I had a look at some recipes on beersmith and cobbled something together resembling an orange wheat.

17l full volume mash

1.6 kg wheat
1.2 kg pale

Mashed in at 62c for 60 mins.

Boiled for 1 hour

Amarillo 10g @60
Amarillo 15g @5
Citra 15g @ 5
Zest and juice of 1 large orange @5

Cooled quickly and pitched cml krystalweizen (sp) at 22c, brew fridge full so it's in the utility room at around 18-20 . It's full on fermenting and has come out the top of the fv which is a ball ache .

Plan to dry hop some amarillo later in the week.

Have you considered just removing the airlock?

WARNING: I've never tried it! :laugh8:

But Experimental Brewing keep talking about it. Basically you just cover the top with a bit of foil while fermentation is very active (like a stir jar I guess), then refit the airlock once or starts to die down. I'm tempted to give it a whirl at some point anyway, but I'd probably do it if I had another overactive fermentation.

Have you considered just removing the airlock?

WARNING: I've never tried it! :laugh8:

But Experimental Brewing keep talking about it. Basically you just cover the top with a bit of foil while fermentation is very active (like a stir jar I guess), then refit the airlock once or starts to die down. I'm tempted to give it a whirl at some point anyway, but I'd probably do it if I had another overactive fermentation.

Did it with some cling film last time, to be honest though, same mess, though I suppose less chance of explosion!

Bit the bullet and tipped out some from the fv, I could probably have cooled it down and stuff but not worth the hassle for what's probably a pint.

So anyway with all that excitement going on I bottled up my brown ale user upper, 100g in 300mls of water, 10ml in each bottle. Fg 1010, so abv around the 5% mark. Looks brown, nice floral earthy smell and tastes good, will be interesting how it develops. 32x 500ml bottles.

Latest posts

Back