PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really hungover today but thought i'd get a beer on whilst wife and kids are out....

Mash on for a Phoenix Porter that i've had planned for a little while.

Similiar malt bill to my Chinook Porter, 5 kg Pale, 350 choc, 300 special B and some carapils.

30g Phoenix @ 60
30g @5
40g Whirlpool.

Should end up around 35 ibu, and looking to be around 5.5%, yeast will be CML Atlantic.

Super efficiency today, I was expecting something around 5.5%, instead got an OG of 1059, reckon it'll end up more like 6.1% or so.... Oh well, can't be arsed liquouring back again!

Righto, Dubbel time!

Used the recipe from the 'bible', switched the hops to Saaz as that is all I had, ibu at around 20.

5kg Pilsner
400g Special B
300g Caramunich 1

Mashed for 60 mins @66

Boiled for 60 mins!
35g Saaz @60
20g Saaz & 15g Perle @15
400g Candi Sugar @ 5

Cooled and pitched MJ21 Wit. OG a couple of points down at 1064.

Bottled! Got down to 1015 ish, which makes it 6.4%, love the yeasty estery flavours, looking forward to this one in the Autumn!

Probably a long shot but how did you rate the M66? Only came across it and thinking of using it for a NEIPA.

Well I can't remember....but I did a side by side comparison with 05 and it came out far more hoppy according to my write up. It's attenuation is 74-82 % i believe so I reckon it should be good for a NEIPA. 👍

2nd of my stag do beers brewed today, this one is a wheat from the bible.

2.7kg wheat
2.3 kg pilsner

Mashed for an hour at 65.

Boiled for an hour and hop additions were 15g saaz and 25g hallertauer hersbrucker at 60. Easy as pie this one, just cooling and will add cml gretel. OG 1050

Last edited:
Sunday I brewed a NEIPA, my last stag do beer as requested by the stag...

After my last homebrew club outing up at the local brewery and speaking to the brewer there he was saying that he uses up to 40% oats in his hazies so I thought I'd up the oat in mine from my previous 2. Grist was

5kg pale
1 kg wheat
1kg rolled oats
600kg oat husks.

This is an awful lot in my klarstein so I had a feeling efficency would take a hit and so I had some malt extract at the ready, that said I wanted something you could 2 or 3 of without falling over....

Mashed for an hour at 67

Boiled for 45 mins

Hops were
15g challenger @45 an odd choice you may say but I like the peppperiness you get from it.

50g neipa mix from cml @5

Dry hop today with 150g neipa mix and probably 100g of whatever I can find in the freezer, think I've got riwaka and amarillo.

Yeast was hophead, fairly low attenuation as I want it to be silky (hopefully).

OG better than I though at 1060.

Seems like I'm renaming the brewery!

Screenshot_20230809_071448_Video Player.jpg

So despite all that wheat and oats, low attenuating yeast, no protofloc dry hopping early and only 3 weeks in the bottle my NEIPA has dropped almost completely clear, wtf? 🤣

View attachment 89480

I saw a video recently (link below) that suggested dry hopping late was much better for generating stable haze in a NEIPA, which is contrary to what Scott Janish and others have previously recommended.

Anecdotally, I found dry hopping early during fermentation didn't generate as much haze as beers dry hopped after fermentation. Definitely not a scientific study though as it wasn't using consistent recipes.

I saw a video recently (link below) that suggested dry hopping late was much better for generating stable haze in a NEIPA, which is contrary to what Scott Janish and others have previously recommended.

Anecdotally, I found dry hopping early during fermentation didn't generate as much haze as beers dry hopped after fermentation. Definitely not a scientific study though as it wasn't using consistent recipes.

Thanks, i'll watch that later, the mrs is watching something and i've lost my headphones.

As you say anecdotally, this is my 3rd NEIPA, the first one came out beautifully, a lovely golden haze, the 2nd, exactly the same process but with different hops came out pretty clear.... i'm befuddled. 😂

It's been almost 6 weeks since I last brewed, life has been hectic lately!!

Today, despite being lumbered with a friends kids for the day I've managed to get a brew on.

I was going to brew a doppelbock but in the end I fancied something slightly less strong so this is probably more of erm, a bock?

For roughly 18l

5kg Munich
150 carafa 1
150 biscuit

Mashed at 67c for 1 hour, then boiled for an hour, hops are 28g hallertauer @60 and 28g tettnang @20. OG 1053. Its still cooling but once to temp I'm pitching 2 packs cml hell.

A rerun of my First Gold bitter today. Made slightly challenging by the fact my little drug scales gave up the ghost, so a very rough guesstimate of weights for the hops....

4.5 kg pale
200g light crystal
100g dark crystal
200g biscuit
50g choc

10g mix of admiral and challenger. @ 60
20g ish first gold @30
25g ish first gold @15
50g hopstand @80c for 20 mins

OG 1050 and yeast CML Midland.

Last edited:
A rerun of my First Gold bitter today. Made slightly challenging by the fact my little drug scales gave up the ghost, so a very rough guesstimate of weights for the hops....

4.5 kg pale
200g light crystal
100g dark crystal
200g biscuit
50g choc

10g mix of admiral and challenger. @ 60
20g ish first gold @30
25g ish first gold @15
50g hopstand @80c for 20 mins

OG and yeast to be decided....
Sounds great 👍

I have decided recently that I'm not into these newer English varieties and much prefer the older hops or the hops that have been brought back as they were too citrus forward in the old days but are more suitable for today's tastes.

I have decided recently that I'm not into these newer English varieties and much prefer the older hops or the hops that have been brought back as they were too citrus forward in the old days but are more suitable for today's tastes.

I agree generally, though I do like Ernest, mixed with a bit of bramling X in a pale ale.

I agree generally, though I do like Ernest, mixed with a bit of bramling X in a pale ale.
Yup, Ernest, Godiva, Endeavour along with the traditional. Those three hops were bred earlier and then brought back.

Jester, Olicana and Archer have too much of the Peach/apricot flavour for me ends of tasting like a soft muddled fruit salad.

Yup, Ernest, Godiva, Endeavour along with the traditional. Those three hops were bred earlier and then brought back.

Jester, Olicana and Archer have too much of the Peach/apricot flavour for me ends of tasting like a soft muddled fruit salad.

True, yes I didn't really enjoy a previous beer I made with jester, as you say, peachy, almost non descript fruit flavours that I wasn't sure should be in a beer. 😂

Latest posts

Back