Pint of prosecco anyone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A pint is 47 cl, about the same as the 50 cl bottles served in restaurants.
Not in any restaurant that I have ever been in.

The only things sold in pints in the UK are beer pubs in milk. There is absolutely no reason to start selling anything else in pints and it wouldn't matter if milk and beer were sold in 500ml measures

The only things sold in pints in the UK are beer pubs in milk. There is absolutely no reason to start selling anything else in pints and it wouldn't matter if milk and beer were sold in 500ml measures
I think one of the reasons (some) milk is still sold in pints or multiples is because the dairy industry put up strong objections when metrication was proposed. The cost of replacing pint bottles (unique to the dairy industry) was a big factor, plus the 'romantic' attraction to the daily delivery which I think was pretty unique.

Same with beer. They're were lots of suggestions that 500ml winking cost the same as 1 pint (568ml) because of rip off pubs plus, the idea that it would show Europe to interfere with the in stupor the British pub. Funny thing is, we dont have a problem drinking half litre draft beer on holiday in Europe, or a 33cl bottle, or, in some parts of the word 25cl bottles. We seem quite capable of getting in down our throats without choking. The fact that it isn't a pint, or a half doesn't seem to be a problem. And spirit measures are metric as well for a long time, but before metrication, spirit measures in Scotland were bigger than in England and Wales. That never caused a problem either.

A lot of these things are just hysteria stirred up by the media as if its a threat to us.. As I said, we go abroad and drink different measures of beer, and I funny think any of us feel or eat of life is threatened in any way. Life's funny like that.

I think one of the reasons (some) milk is still sold in pints or multiples is because the dairy industry put up strong objections when metrication was proposed. The cost of replacing pint bottles (unique to the dairy industry) was a big factor, plus the 'romantic' attraction to the daily delivery which I think was pretty unique.

Same with beer. They're were lots of suggestions that 500ml winking cost the same as 1 pint (568ml) because of rip off pubs plus, the idea that it would show Europe to interfere with the in stupor the British pub. Funny thing is, we dont have a problem drinking half litre draft beer on holiday in Europe, or a 33cl bottle, or, in some parts of the word 25cl bottles. We seem quite capable of getting in down our throats without choking. The fact that it isn't a pint, or a half doesn't seem to be a problem. And spirit measures are metric as well for a long time, but before metrication, spirit measures in Scotland were bigger than in England and Wales. That never caused a problem either.

A lot of these things are just hysteria stirred up by the media as if its a threat to us.. As I said, we go abroad and drink different measures of beer, and I funny think any of us feel or eat of life is threatened in any way. Life's funny like that.
and bottled beers are sold in 500ml bottles, not pint bottles.

I am referring to Italian restaurants that serve 50 cl bottles for two, one of whom might be driving. That would be four glasses rather than five. Always available in Europe. For some reason this seems to have gone over the heads of Brexiters.
What's metric about 75 cl or 37.5 cl bottles apart from the units used?

Last edited:
I am referring to Italian restaurants that serve 50 cl bottles for two, one of whom might be driving. That would be four glasses rather than five. Always available in Europe. For some reason this seems to have gone over the heads of Brexiters.
The fact that you were referring to continental restaurants went over my head and I voted remain.

Um... Did you read that sentence back to yourself? 🤣🤣🤣
The point is that it's 3/4 or 3/8 of a litre. The quoted volume is just for the tax man but the guzzler just drinks a volume that was established whenit was discovered that the lung capacity of the blowers made bottles that contained from 65 cl to 75cl of drinks thanks to a single “blow” and, opting for the greatest capacity, the 75 cl bottle was adopted.

The point is that it's 3/4 or 3/8 of a litre. The quoted volume is just for the tax man but the guzzler just drinks a volume that was established whenit was discovered that the lung capacity of the blowers made bottles that contained from 65 cl to 75cl of drinks thanks to a single “blow” and, opting for the greatest capacity, the 75 cl bottle was adopted.
How is that relevant to the nonsense "What's metric about 75 cl or 37.5 cl bottles apart from the units used?"

How is that relevant to the nonsense "What's metric about 75 cl or 37.5 cl bottles apart from the units used?"
Sigh! The point is that it was never that glass blower should have 75 cc blowing capacity (according to some Parisian metric weights and measures institute) to establish the volume of a bottle. Why not have 1 litre bottles?

Last edited:
I think what bernie is trying to say is that 75cl wine, is not a obvious, direct fraction of the unit, measurement of 1 litre. However, 75cl is just as "metric" as 50cl. The idea that wine bottle size is just a convenient fraction of the volume unit litre by virtue of a bottle blowers lung volume is just..... well, staggering. That kind of coincidence just defies belief. Not close to 75cl but dead on. So what happened to spirit bottles, why are they only 70cl? Were those blowers not as big as wine bottle blowers I wonder?

Sigh! The point is that it was never that glass blower should have 75 cc blowing capacity (according to some Parisian metric weights and measures institute) to establish the volume of a bottle. Why not have 1 litre bottles?
You can have what ever size bottle you want. The point was that it is ludicrous to suggest that we should introduce one pint wine bottles in the UK.

" Pint glasses" in pubs down here can be anywhere between 400ml up to an " imperial pint" of 568ml.
Most of the imperial pints are dimple pots as well.
Beer bottle sizes 330ml, 500ml, 650ml and 745ml.
The 745 are reused and come in a crate. Crate day is a thing where you are meant to drink a 12 bottle crate in a day. Not an advert for sensible drinking.

I think what bernie is trying to say is that 75cl wine, is not a obvious, direct fraction of the unit, measurement of 1 litre. However, 75cl is just as "metric" as 50cl. The idea that wine bottle size is just a convenient fraction of the volume unit litre by virtue of a bottle blowers lung volume is just..... well, staggering. That kind of coincidence just defies belief. Not close to 75cl but dead on. So what happened to spirit bottles, why are they only 70cl? Were those blowers not as big as wine bottle blowers I wonder?
The glass blower volumes were, in fact, between 65 and 75 cl. A higher volume was chosen for wines. Maybe, the middling 70 was chosen for spirits since full bottles aren't drunk at one sitting.

The glass blower volumes were, in fact, between 65 and 75 cl. A higher volume was chosen for wines. Maybe, the middling 70 was chosen for spirits since full bottles aren't drunk at one sitting.
Why make the bottles 5cl smaller just because you don't drink the contents all in one sitting?

What "hatred". People are just mocking the ludicrous idea that we need another size of wine bottle and that it is a benefit of brexit.
I've no idea what you mean by "brings a standard to other drinks that are in pint measures". Do you think we should drink whisky in pints?
Only when your pouring them 🤣

Why make the bottles 5cl smaller just because you don't drink the contents all in one sitting?
Because the puff of glass blowers was between 65 and 75 cl they settled for an average glass blower for spirits or the smaller bottles went for spirits. That is just my hypothesis. Why 70 cl?

Latest posts

Back