Pint of prosecco anyone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much the same here. The only thing I've spent actual notes on in the past decade is the window cleaner and the barber. And I don't think I've used coins in a decade. The card gets used maybe once a month, maybe less.

It's all on the phone these days. If I didn't have to carry a driving license with me when I drive I probably wouldn't even bother with my wallet

I barely ever have my wallet. Have a picture of my licence on my phone.

"Showing your driving documents
If a police officer asks you to, you must be able to show:

your driving licence
a valid insurance certificate
a valid MOT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
If you don’t have the documents with you at the time, you may be asked to take them to a police station within 7 days."

https://www.gov.uk/legal-obligations-drivers-riders
As long as you can produce them within 7 days you are ok .
Do you carry your MOT and insurance certificates as well?

It says "you must" but you are not legally obliged to carry any documents other than a driver CPC card its a £1000 fine if you are caught without it.
I have to carry my Driver CPC card at all times so the phone case is ideal as i always have it on me.

MOT certificates don't exist anymore! 😂

What is the bit of paper the garage give you then? Tax discs don't exist, but I thought mots did.

I carry my dvla card and some other licenses, but the rest they know before they even get out of the car. Computers eh!

For everything what there is a "producer"

The advice on the site is outdated, just like on the nhs when the covid symptoms changed but were not updates for about a year.

Most car related information is on a central database so the police can just check that way.

They want to be able to confirm the identity of the driver if stopped.

Historically it is something that was there and it brings a standard to other drinks that are in pint measures. Why let the reason interrupt your hatred though. Carry on.

Historically it is something that was there and it brings a standard to other drinks that are in pint measures. Why let the reason interrupt your hatred though. Carry on.
What "hatred". People are just mocking the ludicrous idea that we need another size of wine bottle and that it is a benefit of brexit.
I've no idea what you mean by "brings a standard to other drinks that are in pint measures". Do you think we should drink whisky in pints?

What is the bit of paper the garage give you then? Tax discs don't exist, but I thought mots did.
It's just a report of the test for your information. It's not a certificate anymore and doesn't need to be kept (because the record of the test is held centrally on computers now)

What "hatred". People are just mocking the ludicrous idea that we need another size of wine bottle and that it is a benefit of brexit.
I've no idea what you mean by "brings a standard to other drinks that are in pint measures". Do you think we should drink whisky in pints?
Respectfully do some research

The advice on the site is outdated, just like on the nhs when the covid symptoms changed but were not updates for about a year.

Most car related information is on a central database so the police can just check that way.

They want to be able to confirm the identity of the driver if stopped.
Actually, all this information is available to the police from various databases. MOTs are registered immediately they are completed. The machine which tests emissions sends the results directly to the test authority and a certificate can't be issued if the emission test is a failure.

Insurance records are available from the Motor Insurance Bureau which is funded by all insurance companies to deal with claims against uninsured drivers. They have access to records held by all insurers.

Licence info is available from DVLA. Class of vehicle, full/provional, penalty points, disqualification date so available over the radio.

Personal info is available from the Electoral Register which confirms age, sex and name and address. Police criminal records obviously confirm any convictions, outstanding warrants, court appearances, propensity for violence etc, as well as any 'markings' on a vehicle record, eg if its thought to be involved in drug dealing.

Last edited:
Anyway, to get back to the topic. Why does anyone want to go back to using ancient measures used only by a few countries in the world? Why have all the disruption and resetting of machinery, reprinting of labels? Public won't buy wine just because its sold by the pint! Anyway, 70cl bottles are too small, a pint is much too small, unless it serves one.

Another thing to consider is the proportional costs. The label will cost the same regardless of the volume, but they'll have to be a new label to show one pint.

The pint container itself will cost almost the same as 70cl, and might actually cost more if they're made in lower volumes.

Distribution, marketing, corks and admin will cost the same for a pint as for 70cl. Therefore, you're going to pay the same 'overheads ' for 70cl and 1 pint. But the pint is a smaller volume and so the overheads will be proportionally higher then for the 70cl. You've seen it in supermarkets, 4 pints of milk work out at 50p pint, whilst a 6 pint carton is only 44p/pint.

What will also happen is that prices will creep up so that 1 pint will cost the same as 70cl, because suppliers think customers are thick and don't notice these things.

Last edited:
Anyway, to get back to the topic. Why does anyone want to go back to using ancient measures used only by a few countries in the world? Why have all the disruption and resetting of machinery, reprinting of labels? Public won't buy wine just because its sold by the pint! Anyway, 70cl bottles are too small, a pint is much too small, unless it serves one.

Another thing to consider is the proportional costs. The label will cost the same regardless of the volume, but they'll have to be a new label to show one pint.

The pint container itself will cost almost the same as 70cl, and might actually cost more if they're made in lower volumes.

Distribution, marketing, corks and admin will cost the same for a pint as for 70cl. Therefore, you're going to pay the same 'overheads ' for 70cl and 1 pint. But the pint is a smaller volume and so the overheads will be proportionally higher then for the 70cl. You've seen it in supermarkets, 4 pints of milk work out at 50p pint, whilst a 6 pint carton is only 44p/pint.

What will also happen is that prices will creep up so that 1 pint will cost the same as 70cl, because suppliers think customers are thick and don't notice these things.
yup a decimal based measuring system is far better than an imperial one. I do still confess to weighing myself in ST & LBS, everything else is metric preferred.

Anyway, to get back to the topic. Why does anyone want to go back to using ancient measures
Counting on ones fingers is quite ancient.
Why have all the disruption and resetting of machinery, reprinting of labels?
Labels are changed frequently. Machines for pint bottles are in common use.
Public won't buy wine just because it's sold by the pint! Anyway, 70cl bottles are too small, a pint is much too small, unless it serves one.
A pint is 47 cl, about the same as the 50 cl bottles served in restaurants.

Counting on ones fingers is quite ancient.

Yes, they're convenient and we always have them with us. But every 'normal' person has the same number of fingers, there's no variation between us.

However, if I wanted to sell you a length of material, and wanted to use the distance between my finger tip and shoulder, it benefits me to have short arms, but benefits you if I have long arms, relative to other merchants. This was the way things were measured, until we standardised them.
Labels are changed frequently. Machines for pint bottles are in common use.

Not sure last time I bought anything that was a pint in a container. But a big disruption is the one off development of the new label - design, printing, testing for size/proportionality (a label designed for one size container very often looks bad on a different size). On small labels there is often difficulty in getting all the regulatory/statutory required info on. Changing labels IS disruptive. Nobody on the manufacturing side of a product wants to run a batch, change to another batch, change containers, labels, reset machines and start again. We all want to run the same product continuously. Sometimes that's not possible, so we have minimum batch runs - the smallest batch that's worthwhile doing. Setup time costs money, it's non productive. If you add the cost of keeping /ordering different size containers /labels/packaging materials etc, there's a lot of overheads to be considered. And that's without considering mistakes being made eg wrong label on a product so the whole batch has to be recalled and reworked. As I said, production side staff simply want to set up a machine and run it continuously, that's the highest profit production.
A pint is 47 cl, about the same as the 50 cl bottles served in restaurants.
As Gonzo says. It isn't. The pint size doesn't fit into the metric derived container sizes. Without pint size containers you'd end up underfilling a metric container. Not only is that sub-optimum - you're using more container materials then you need and that's wasteful, an underfilled container looks odd and will provoke complaints that the container isn't full and you're ripping of the customer. Also, customers don't want to pay for air in the container,either when it's transported or when the end user buys it.

Apart from that, the big question is why? What benefits would the change bring to the consumer?

Back