The UK doesn't want the Imperial system back.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlBrew

Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.gov.uk/government/consu...on-units-of-measurement-consultation-response
I didn't think for a minute that it would be any different but I'm surprised at the proportions, the metric system won by a mile! I think I'll have a pint to celebrate.

What the responses said
17) The results of our analysis showed that 98.7% of respondents were in favour of using metric units when buying or selling product, either as the primary unit of sale (maintaining status quo) or as the sole unit of sale (purely metric). 1.3% of respondents were in favour of increased use of imperial units when buying or selling products, either by increased choice between using metric and imperial units or moving to a purely imperial system.

18) The breakdown of responses into the 4 categories is as follows:

Overall preferenceNumber of responsesPercentage of responses

Status quo (keep metric as primary unit of measurement)81,86781.1%

More choice (open to increased use of imperial measures)8700.9%

Purely metric (completely metric system)17,79817.6%

Purely imperial (completely imperial system)4030.4%

Total100,938100%

18) The breakdown of responses into the 4 categories is as follows:
The table didn't format properly when you pasted it...
Here you go:

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 13.09.00.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see a purely metric system becoming a thing as us older folk who still think in gallons, pints and pounds etc die out, i asked SWMBO how she orders meat in our local butcher and she still asks for a pound of sausage etc, i dont do shopping so was under the impression it was all priced in kg.

1704115861846.png

Last edited:
i asked SWMBO how she orders meat in our local butcher and she still asks for a pound of sausage etc, i dont do shopping so was under the impression it was all priced in kg.
I would guess that it's still priced per kilo. I have never seen a butcher where it's priced in imperial.

Probably that happens it's that your SWMBO orders a pound of sausages, and the butcher gives her 500g of sausages, priced in metric

I would guess that it's still priced per kilo. I have never seen a butcher where it's priced in imperial.
Yes its priced in metric only so as you say he converts it.

Do members think we will eventually see imperial measurements die out?

Yes its priced in metric only so as you say he converts it.

most imperial (weights and volumes, but not distance) I'd say, heaven help Wales if they ditch miles for KM, I can see it now, well we've spent all our money on 20 signs lets just make the speed limit signs refer to kilometers :eek:

:roll:

I can see a purely metric system becoming a thing as us older folk who still think in gallons, pints and pounds etc die out, i asked SWMBO how she orders meat in our local butcher and she still asks for a pound of sausage etc, i dont do shopping so was under the impression it was all priced in kg.

View attachment 94193
Jeez remember when oxtail was almost for free

I think so. Almost everything is metric now and the younger generation 'thinks' in metric. So imperial well gradually die out as the older generations depart this world.
I'd say, heaven help Wales if they ditch miles for KM
Oh yeah. Good point. I think miles and mph are here to stay. There is to much already invested in miles (signs as mentioned) to make any switch to metric anywhere near practical. You'd have to have a dual measurement system for new signs which would just be too confusing and it would take literally decades to do. I don't see us ever moving from miles to km.

I think so. Almost everything is metric now and the younger generation 'thinks' in metric. So imperial well gradually die out as the older generations depart this world.

Oh yeah. Good point. I think miles and mph are here to stay. There is to much already invested in miles (signs as mentioned) to make any switch to metric anywhere near practical. You'd have to have a dual measurement system for new signs which would just be too confusing and it would take literally decades to do. I don't see us ever moving from miles to km.
I drive down to Dublin on a regular basis. The road signs are in mph until I get to the border then they change to km/h. I've never found it to be a difficult transition to be honest. I've never mistakenly gone from 70mph to 120mph when I get to Dundalk. 😊

I'm of the generation that was initially taught imperial weights and measures at school then switched to metric later on. Perhaps for that reason I can use either system with reasonable comfort, as I'm sure many people can.

When I was an apprentice I had a journeyman that randomly read from both sides of his tape rule. He regularly gave me instructions like, "make a piece of conduit two feet and three and a half centimetres end to end". :laugh8:

I must say I use imperial and metric interchangeably. I mean as previously noted my conversions may not be to the exact gram or ounce. At 37 I have grown up with imperial and metric so I guess it is much the same.
The only thing that irks me is in France when you order a pint it is neither a British imperial not American imperial pint but 500ml. But that is just me being me!

Wonder if days,months, weeks and years will be changed just to suit some idiots who have run out of things to bleat about?

Latest posts

Back