Pitched whole yeast starter, problem....?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonkyDonkey

Reaction score
Evening everyone!
Very long term lurker, first time poster 🧐
I made a yeast starter (London Ale III), overbuilt and poured off the extra for later use leaving 1ltr of yeasty liquid. No problems so far.
When it came to pitching the remaining yeast into my fresh wort, even though I'd already left it to separate, I inadvertently put the whole lot in starter liquid and all.
Have I cocked my brew up by putting the spent starter liquid in with the yeast or will it be ok? It was added to 24ltr in the fermenter if that helps.
There's 300g of dry hops to go in later on so don't want to waste them if it's too far gone already.

Thanks for all the information gleaned so far, you're a very knowledgeable bunch.

Cheers in advance

Welcome Wonk donkey

Short answer no.

Iirc you can pitch up to 10% of the brew length in starter. Although I seem to remember (a long time ago) someone saying they often pitched up to 20%

Thanks MyQul, I can sleep easy tonight 😅
This is only my 2nd attempt at starters, followed the 1st to the letter but obviously too confident with this one.

Thanks again ✌️

Not a problem at all, in fact some people suggest that pitching the entire starter at high krausen is a better option than fermenting it out, chilling, and decanting.

I make 1 litre starters on a stir plate and always pitch the whole thing because I never get round to leaving it to settle before I am ready to pitch

This is my first attempt at doing a rebrew of a previous recipe and was really hoping to improve on things that I've learnt along the way since. Hopefully it doesn't have too big an effect the end result 🤞

Thanks all ✌️

Back