Pitching yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks,
what is your experience on priming yeast prior to adding it to your wort? The reason I ask is that the last batch I made used Munton's Gold and the packet explicity stated that the dried yeast could simply be sprinkled on top of the cooled wort, whereas most other yeasts that I've used have needed to be added to a sample of wort and stirred for some time before adding.
I noticed that when I used the Munton's that there seemed to be very little activity going on in the FV compared to my previous brews that used Munich and liquid yeasts, although that may have just been down to the yeast type.
Basically, if a packet of dried yeast says that it can be added directly to the wort, is it still worth priming it first anyway?

i sometimes make a starter in a measuring jug, with a little sugary water and pop it in the airing cupboard for a few hours,
other times sprinkling on the wort works really well....it depends on the brew, if im making a country wine or cider i make a starter,

I'm with Cussword on this one. You want your yeast to make beer and not just alcohol so if you are going to make a starter you should use some DME (or actual wort if you have some) and do it properly as the yeast will perform better if introduced to the environment that we wish it continue. However for dried yeast you tend to get better results by rehydrating the yeast in some sterile water an hour prior to pitching as creating a starter is more likely to degrade the yeast health rather than increase the healthy cells.

For what it is worth. The Basic Brewing Radio podcast is going to release the results of their dried yeast experiment in the next couple of weeks. It is simply looking at the difference between taking a dried yeast and sprinkling against rehydrating prior to pitching. I'm looking forward to hearing the results.

Latest posts

Back