Plastic re-usable stoppers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattybumble

Reaction score
Afternoon!

After a few of my bottles ended up with half a crumbled cork floating around in them, I have now started to use the plastic stoppers that you can get. I'm wondering if there is an easy way of opening them? At the moment I'm having to use a knife to try to prise it open. I'm sure there must be an easier, and safer way!

:cheers:

Oh!
It will have to my OHs thumbs and brute force - I just could not get the thing out! I'll have to get him to open the wine in advance when he's off gallivanting for the weekend!

Thanks!

Wrap something that'll grip round the stopper so you have something bigger and less nasty on the hand to grab. Rubber is good for grip, so something like rubber washing up gloves is ideal.

fattybumble said:
I'm wondering if there is an easy way of opening them? At the moment I'm having to use a knife to try to prise it open. I'm sure there must be an easier, and safer way!
Not a way that I've found, I've tried assorted pipe wrenches and pliers but keep coming back to a blunt knife (or the back of a knife) with gentle leverage while turning the bottle. It's only the first few millimetres which needs persuasion, after the first click you should be able to grip and twist the rest.

Blunt knife - then we use a loose wine bottle stopper to cap it if it doesn`t get finished :D I also have to open a bottle or two for HER if i`m off out galavanting :lol:

I use plastic stoppers all the time, we use an old pair of nut crackers to grip the top so its easy to twist and pull it out, once opened we only push it part way in till the bottles empty ( never very long :drunk: )

Difficult to describe but if you get a thick piece of dowel the width of your hand. Drill a hole through the middle and thread string through it about 30cms is nice. Tie the ends together and you're done.

To open the bottle loop the string under the cap and twist it round a few times then pull.

Latest posts

Back