Plastic Tray For False Bottom

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aneray

Landlord.
Reaction score
I bought a plastic tray this morning which I am going to convert into a false bottom for my mashtun.

On the bottom of the tray is a triangle with 05 in it and PP under it. Is this rating the one where I can use it for food purposes, or is it a waste of a quid at the poundshop.

Cheers Neil :thumb:

That identifies it as Polypropylene, general information identifies it as safe but there is some info which may indicate a leeching issue.

Thanks for the replies guys :thumb:

After posting this I did Google it and saw the same info about the leeching.

I might give it a go, I don't think a ninety minute mash at an average temperature of 66 degrees will make much difference :pray:

I made mine out of a piece of 5mm acrylic as used in the sign industry and I am still alive :lol: :lol:.

:cheers:

AG

I was looking at the 5mm acrylic at my local hardware store. I only want a small piece for a Coleman coolbox but they wanted eighteen quid for it.

the Camel Toe Brewery
Just spotted that, is there a Brewery Logo or picture galley ;) :lol:
On a more serious note, polycarbonate would be a better option, got any dealers down there ?, a small piece would be an off cut, otherwise how about theonestopplasticsshop, vat and pp may up the price, but there could be a little business enterprise there by over ordering ;)
S

Mine was a plastic bottom off a food bucket ............

works really well, was a PITA drilling all them holes though :lol:

11aebzp.jpg

Back