Pls help...why is my lager flat?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blundersbrew

Reaction score
Hi, this happened a few brews ago & has just happened again. The lager looks & tastes fine but is totally flat!
I put 2.5 teaspoons of sugar in per 2 litre bottle before bottling, all were sterilised, I have no idea.

pls advise
Sean

I bottled it friday morning & its in my pantry quite cool with no windows. thanks
theboytony said:
How long has it been bottled, and at what temp have you kept it at

Get it in the warm for a few weeks then back in the pantry for at least a few more weeks. :thumb:

3 days is not long enough for carbonation either.

You will know when it's getting there as sediment will form at the bottom of the bottle. You should sit your bottles at approx 20 degrees for 5-7 days to allow the yeast to do it's thing and create the CO2, from there take the bottles somewhere cool to allow the CO2 to be absorbed. The cooler the better, but not freezing :D

If you still don't see any sediment then either the sugar wasn't mixed properly, isn't in the bottles, or the yeast has died for some reason. No other additives put in I take it? Campden or potassium sorbate or anything like that?

no, no extras, when i bottle the lager (next brew) should i shake the bottle to dissolve the sugar or leave it at the bottom of the bottle?
ScottM said:
You will know when it's getting there as sediment will form at the bottom of the bottle. You should sit your bottles at approx 20 degrees for 5-7 days to allow the yeast to do it's thing and create the CO2, from there take the bottles somewhere cool to allow the CO2 to be absorbed. The cooler the better, but not freezing :D

If you still don't see any sediment then either the sugar wasn't mixed properly, isn't in the bottles, or the yeast has died for some reason. No other additives put in I take it? Campden or potassium sorbate or anything like that?

You say there's no carbonation but is it flatter than a witches tit. :grin:

Only jesting... As said before, keep it in a warm place for around 2 weeks then cooler. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back