Poll - What is your expectation of surviving Covid-19 should you get infected

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are your expectations on surviving Covid-19 should you catch it

• Very likely

• Probable

• Possible

• Unlikely

• Very unlikely

• Don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to find out member's expectations, at the present time, of their likelihood of surviving Covid 19 should they catch it, assuming there is no vaccine and sooner or later we will slowly come out of lockdown, and become increasingly exposed to it. For some this may be quicker than others. My personal belief is it's here for some months to come or even longer , and indeed some studies have predicted 80% of the population will get it, in spite of lockdowns, PPE, social distancing or whatever. Forum members appear to be a fairly diverse group, even though we have one common interest athumb.. , and as far as I can tell span the age range. The only thing that skews it is that membership may be predominantly male. So to repeat the question, 'What is your expectation of surviving Covid-19 should you get infected?'. And clearly to those members who have had it and fortunately recovered, the poll doesn't apply to you, thank goodness. And if you choose to join the poll you should perhaps consider how old you are, and the health risk factors that have been widely published.
And you can't change your vote.
Edit:
I have edited out a small part of this in an effort to make it less emotive.

Last edited:
Please kill this thread its insensitive and uncaring. 16000 real people have died we don't need this s**t.
It is not uncaring or insensititive. Nor does it in any way disrespect those who have died as a direct result of this virus young and old, nor in any way is it intended to. It is an honest question which most will have thought about under the current circumstances. I certainly have as have those close to me.
However if people feel they do not wish to share their innnermost thoughts with the outside world for what ever reason, however anonymous, that is understandable.

Well, and firstly don’t be hitting me with any jinx **** right?

But

I’m like 34, a stone or so over weight, bit of epilepsy and a slightly confused asthma diagnosis. Basically I have the lungs of a 19 year old or some **** but I still managed to have an asthma attack a couple years ago so I qualify for ventolin.
Which probably means they’re actually fine lol.

and I have slightly high blood pressure and probably a mildly high cholesterol, but hey, who doesn’t? Lol

also, and this is the worse bit, I have a ludicrously high level of general optimism. Like it’s not even naivety, it’s like a really bizarre optimistic problem I have generally.

So I figure if I get it I’ll probably be fine. I’ll have a **** week, I might be in bed a few days and I probably won’t want any booze for about a week, but I figure it’ll probably be ok.

And I reckon the same for my girlfriend and son.

Do I anticipate me dying? Nah.

Do I find this poll scary? No. It’s actually just a question everyone’s already asked themselves several time’s isn’t it? Checked the symptoms, looked at the condition of people who’ve died, weighed your own self against it. I’ve done all that.
Mildly **** myself when that 21 year old football guy died from it, the guy with leukaemia. That was actually pretty **** right there.
But come on now, oooohh a reminder.... scary...! Seriously? Nah.

I did say I was ludicrously optimistic lol.

I'm usually very resistance to infections because I've tended to follow the gov't advice before they even issued it themselves.

I always try to shop during quiet periods. always washing hands (ocd) and don't touch my face if my hands haven't been washed. However If some random coughs close to you that counts for nothing.

Whilst I'm only slightly on the border of being overweight I do cycle a lot, (well I chalked up 84 miles last week my highest ever) but if covid19 goes for the heart I reckon that will be me done. We have both discussed our wishes DNR for me, and I don't want to be admitted into hospital, save the space for someone else.

I'm the last one in our household to ever catch a cold. My partner is a secondary school teacher and gets em all the time. Me? Nope.
I'm fairly fit (I'm 47. Garmin tells me I'm in the top level of fitness for a 20yr old, take this with a pinch of salt).

If I get it, I'll go down fighting. Too much to lose.

Yet, I still feel vulnerable.
In some ways I'm risk averse (financially, emotionally), but I've taken risks physically and been close to death more than most men during my 20's and 30's and well aware of my mortality.
Currently I do as much as possible to minimise my contact with anyone. Do what you can. Protect yourself.

I'm 60. Good health. No immediate or chronic health problems.

Voted probable just because of my age.

Funny, wife and I were discussing this tonight. She has issues.

No, I don't think this poll is insensitive either. Just the way it is. None of us get out of here alive.

Please kill this thread its insensitive and uncaring. 16000 real people have died we don't need this s**t.

Which bit of the thread title did you not get, you chose to open the thread no one forced you to read it I suggest in future if you do not like the subject in the title don't open it.

Edit to add - if you are not happy with a thread or post use the report button rather than take it up with the person posting in their thread it's the moderators job to decide what is appropriate in the forums not yours.

Last edited:
The most sure thing in life is death, not sure it matters how, I do think the probable, possibly, unlikely, and very unlikely should change their votes to very likely. Throwing in the towel before the bout has started doesn't help.

I think I have had it due to the symptoms matching and a confirmed case in the family which probably would have been passed to my wife pre lockdown.

That said, if I havent had it, a mixture of arrogance and being 34 years old and no underlying conditions means I dont particularly fear it. Read a bit the other day saying some study, possibly American reckons the prevalence of infection might 80 to 100 times what they thought. If true that would mean that your chances of being asymptomatic or not in serious trouble increase greatly.

FWIW everyone is different but I had symptoms for about 8 days, in normal circumstances I would have felt bad enough to be off work 1 maybe 2 of those at a push.

The most sure thing in life is death, not sure it matters how, I do think the probable, possibly, unlikely, and very unlikely should change their votes to very likely. Throwing in the towel before the bout has started doesn't help.
I'm not worried or throwing in the towel but I'm not a must cling on at all costs type of person. Most of my chances of catching it are in my own hands, so rather than have to 'battle it' I'm aiming not to have the fight in the first place! 😉

So I got the scary letter stating I'm at severe risk, must isolate for 12 weeks not leaving the house for any reason and even maintain distancing from my family who I share my house with i.e. sleep / live in different rooms, have my meals brought to me etc.

I'm 48, have a respiratory condition that's due to an auto immune reaction, this puts me at risk, but it's never been bad enough that I've had difficulty breathing. At worst it has been an irritation albeit quite a bad one. I'm weaning myself of the meds under direction of my consultant, I've been off them before but had a slight and as it turns out unrelated scare so annoyingly had to start the whole process again. Anyway in the next couple of weeks I'll be off them altogether hopefully so no immuno-suppressants to worry about. I've also ran four half marathons over the last year, have a VO2 max that's very good for my age according to my Garmin running watch.

Given all the above I'm a bit concerned but I'm positive I have a fighting chance of seeing it off. I'm not isolating from my immediate family for 12 weeks I have two kids as well a my wife so it would be near to impossible and I'm also trying to get out for exercise though annoyingly I've injured my knee so running is on the back burner for a bit but it means my bike gets some use instead.

Other upside is that I'll be first in the queue for as and when a vaccine becomes available.

I'm not worried or throwing in the towel but I'm not a must cling on at all costs type of person. Most of my chances of catching it are in my own hands, so rather than have to 'battle it' I'm aiming not to have the fight in the first place! 😉
Then keep your head below the trench for the next few months. Come out and say 'What crisis'

I'm almost hoping I get this just to be done with it. It's always going to be out there hanging over our heads otherwise. They're saying now a vaccine could still be twelve to eighteen months away.

Felt a little warm yesterday.

This morning I'm sinusy, running nose, bit of a sore throat, light cough. Not sure if it's pollen or something else.

I'll see what the day brings.

Well I would consider myself very fit my VO2 Max score is good

Another Garmin user here and it says I have teh fitness off a 20 year old

Although that could imply it thinks I am lazy and drink too much

Back