Polytunnel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rats are down by three in the rat community. My lates in another polytunnel are becoming a worry. Not much of summer left though our autumns can be hot. These toms had better get a wiggle on if they are going to get consumed.
IMG_0723.JPG

Rats are down by three in the rat community. My lates in another polytunnel are becoming a worry. Not much of summer left though our autumns can be hot. These toms had better get a wiggle on if they are going to get consumed.
View attachment 95796
You can pick green and ripen on a window sill, or green tomato chutney.

I would have put money on my winter seedlings and the first to show. My bet would have been Pak Choi, lost out there it was Daikon. Never mind, most are all starting to show their heads.
IMG_0936.JPG

Chili is still self-seeding, love these Medusa never let me down.
IMG_0942.JPG

Just planted out the toms and the chillies in the poly. After a few days they just seen to accelerate away in the ground. Good to see spring coming.

We've some first early spuds doing well in the tunnel. A couple of the cabbages in there went to seed so ended up on the heap.
Picked some of the forced rhubarb today. Another potato planting...second earlies. Broad beans also planted out. These will be supplemented with a direct sowing when things warm up a bit. Also planted were some onion seedlings and shallots.
At home the last of the tomatoes and chillies have been potted on and cabbage,broccoli and caulis sown.
Food for the soul...

Weeding: toms & chillies

Cropping: kale & salad leaf & celeriac & f.nettley weeds.

Planting: beans & beet

Setting: courgette & gurkin & spring onions

All seedlings are up apart from parsnip. My wife has a couple of horses in agistment and mentioned to me about the manure they are trying to get rid of! Say no more, two loads and I have about two cubic meters along with a good helping of stable straw.
IMG_0970.JPG

I always knew those grain bags would come in useful.
IMG_0969.JPG

While it is a bit sad when one season ends, sadness doesn't last too long, busy getting the winter crops ready, gave the rhubarb patch a good feed and the rhubarb is starting to look lively. Planted out my Sugar Snap peas, and harvested some of my pumpkins, I need the space even though they are still flowering and setting.
Funny, I assimilate gardening with fishing. These two pastimes are where one can let their mind wander while not losing focus on the job at hand.
Not only that the potting shed is the ideal place for a beer, I wonder what the poor people are doing?
Curing the Pumpkins.
IMG_0981.JPG

Nothing beats a beer in here after an honest day of hard yakka.
IMG_0982.JPG

Broad beans were planted out today with a dressing of sheep tish, going to rain tomorrow night so I will give a dressing of blood and bone beforehand
IMG_0986.JPG

Back